Question about fishing the area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about fishing the area.

When I come up from Texas in October I was wondering if anyone wade fishes? Will be bring my yak but like to get off and wade.
    Thanks
    west end trout assassins

If you're interested in wading for freshwater trout, we have some of the better freshwater trout fishing around.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I think he's thinking more along the lines of flats fishing, lol. This ain't Texas brotha. I've actually found most of the local trout waters pretty slow to be honest. Most of the better water is further north unless I'm missing something.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

If you want to hike and wade and catch and release brook trout....you can't beat Shenandoah National Park....but leave the kayak at home. The brook trout are small, but they're fun to catch and the scenery is hard to beat.

Comment

I tried Deer Creek and some other tributary in the area, caught 2 12" rainbows on a fly 3 weeks ago. I'd much rather catch small brook trout with nice scenery, thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of trying a fly rod over at chsp and land a few 30"+ blue fish!
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

And of course there is the Potomac.

From Gaithersburg, you are only 10 miles from the Seneca Breaks at Violet's Lock Rd (see pic). Great fall fishing there. Smallmouth, Walleye, Channel Cat, Crappie. Tricky but wade-able... this was my favorite location when I lived up there back in the 70's and 80's. If you want something easier you can walk a mile down the towpath (downstream) to reach a more mellow stretch.

Above the breaks is some nice paddling water a short drag from Violet's. But you could also just hit the ramp at Riley's Lock Rd a half mile upstream.

Another good paddling spot close to there but further upstream is Edwards Ferry.
            There are also a couple good small lakes near Gaithersburg... Clopper Lake and Senca Lake. Hope this helps.

fishing.jpg
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Yea not talking freshwater. Lol. We wade fish down here. Just curious if any one waded for specks. Thanks for the info though. Y'all ever come to Texas give me a holla and ill take y'all wading.
              west end trout assassins

Comment

Working...
              X