My Next Purchase: roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Next Purchase: roof rack

After seeing everyone's secure setups yesterday, Ive been inspired to protect my investment with something a little bit more sturdy than the foam blocks. They've performed well, but can be a pain when the wind kicks up while loading solo.

The problem for me with roof racks have been the cost. I have a $700 car, and don't want to spend more than half that for some expensive ass system that is used a fraction of the time. I think I've found my happy medium.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-i...ck-system.html

The bases for this system clamps down on the door frames. It locks so neither the base nor bars can be removed. No drilling, no straps running thru the car. Its compatible with all other aftermarket carriers and accessories.

I'll be giving this a shot in the upcoming weeks. Looks like a winner by far for me...
    <insert witty comment here>

Ordered...to take advantage of free shipping. Will report back with a review v

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
      Ordered...to take advantage of free shipping. Will report back with a review v
      I swear you pull the trigger faster than Bill the Kid!!! LMAO

Comment

I know man. This one looks like a winner though.

Comment

I have a similar rack by Thule. The normal system is for 4dr vehicles, but I had to get the more expensive version with an extra bar for 2dr. Fortunately I found a guy on a Subaru forum selling a used setup he had for $150. It get's the job done and I can cruise at highway speeds with no fear. Inno, Thule, and Yakima all have racks that pretty much do the same thing, it's just a matter of finding the best price. They also have specially made J-hooks and pads to secure the kayak quickly and easily, but standard bow/stern tie downs and straps work just fine for a fraction of the cost.
          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

How do you load your kayak solo???

Hey MetroMan, I was wondering what technique you've been using to load up your kayak on your car solo. I am using foam blocks also, and have had to load my OK Prowler 13 twice now.

This first time, I tried doing it myself by lifting it over my head from the side of the car and loading it on top of the car. I was able to lift it up to the roof, but had trouble getting it laid down properly....so I ended up getting help from someone and we picked it up on opposite sides and set it down on the foam blocks.

The second time (today), I was alone, and I tried the method of sliding the kayak over my kayak cart, which I tied down to the trunk of my sedan upside-down. It kind of worked...but the wheels are a bit too wide, and so it really only works on the mid-section of the hull. So I ended up with half a yak on the roof, and tried sliding it into place. That was a bad idea, because I scratched up the roof a bit from the sand that was on the bottom of the kayak.

I can't think of a nice, careful way to load up the kayak solo without damaging the car or the kayak....
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
              Hey MetroMan, I was wondering what technique you've been using to load up your kayak on your car solo. I am using foam blocks also, and have had to load my OK Prowler 13 twice now.

This first time, I tried doing it myself by lifting it over my head from the side of the car and loading it on top of the car. I was able to lift it up to the roof, but had trouble getting it laid down properly....so I ended up getting help from someone and we picked it up on opposite sides and set it down on the foam blocks.

The second time (today), I was alone, and I tried the method of sliding the kayak over my kayak cart, which I tied down to the trunk of my sedan upside-down. It kind of worked...but the wheels are a bit too wide, and so it really only works on the mid-section of the hull. So I ended up with half a yak on the roof, and tried sliding it into place. That was a bad idea, because I scratched up the roof a bit from the sand that was on the bottom of the kayak.

I can't think of a nice, careful way to load up the kayak solo without damaging the car or the kayak....
              The answer is the Thule Slipstream. I load my kayak solo all the time and this thing is amazing. totally worth it.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                The answer is the Thule Slipstream. I load my kayak solo all the time and this thing is amazing. totally worth it.
                Hey Pinch, after seeing your Thule Slipstream, and also seeing it on someone else's truck with factory racks like mine, I think that I am going to get the Thule Slipstream. I loved the way it works. I assume you are happy with yours, or would you get another model. Is it the Thule Slipstream ST or is it XT that you have?

My wife wants to go to a store and pick up one for me for my birthday on Monday....Yippi.

Comment

I lay the blocks in place on the roof, the honestly, I rely on brute strength to lift it in the air. (although this resulted in an epic fail last time as I didn't realize how much water I took on )

I lay the yak on it's side, top of the hull facing my shins. I stand centered on the side handle. Using my left hand, I lift the yak straight up to waist height. There, I can bend my knees to rest the yak on my thighs if I need to. Next motion is to take my right hand/arm under the yak and lift it to an overhead position. From there, I rest the yak on my car's roof (it's still sideways). Then I let it fall into position onto the foam blocks. I then make adjustments as necessary.

It may sound complex, but I've got it down to a science. Maybe I'll soon make a video. One other method is to tip the yak onto the bow... Place your head under the seat area, then lift the yak on top of your head (kayak upside down). The seat area is at or near the balance point. Get it balanced atop your head, then take it from there.

Lifting the kayak used to be really awkward. I've gotten used to it. It does require some muscle to hoist 70 oblong pounds though. I'll post a video soon.

Originally posted by Sun View Post

Comment

I ordered a Yakima roof mount kit for my bare roof car- after I get the basic kit- then I can get the rest- the kit includes the towers and crossbars-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I purchased a roof-mount system last winter. Here is my experience.

I mainly use my kayak within 20 minutes of home. For those trips, I fold down the rear seats in the Honda Odyssey, and slide the kayak in the back. I quickly tie it off and am underway with little fuss. I wanted an alternate carrying system for the occasional trips that are farther away. After doing lots of reading last winter, I purchased the Thule 883 Glide and Set kit. It mounts onto the crossbars of the built in roof racks of the Odyssey.

The kit is quite complete with high quality components. No tools are required for installation. There is a pair of movable saddles to support the front of the boat and a pair of glide pads to support the rear. The kit includes nice quality ratcheting straps to lash the kayak to the cross bars, and also has ratcheting rope ties for front and rear.

It does take some brute strength to get a 70+ pound kayak on top of a minivan. I brought two useful items with me to aid in loading: a) a small piece of carpet to keep the kayak from scratching the back roof area of the minivan during loading and unloading, and b) 2-step stepping stool to get me higher up for postioning the boat and adjusting the straps.
                      Attached Files
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
                        I have a similar rack by Thule. The normal system is for 4dr vehicles, but I had to get the more expensive version with an extra bar for 2dr. Fortunately I found a guy on a Subaru forum selling a used setup he had for $150. It get's the job done and I can cruise at highway speeds with no fear. Inno, Thule, and Yakima all have racks that pretty much do the same thing, it's just a matter of finding the best price. They also have specially made J-hooks and pads to secure the kayak quickly and easily, but standard bow/stern tie downs and straps work just fine for a fraction of the cost.
                        I have the Thule Outrigger http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...gger%20II.aspx
                        You pull it out from one of the rack bars. You lift one end of the kayak onto the bar and rest it there. Then you pick up the end of the kayak that's still on the ground parallel to the car and lift it on top of the roof. Then just slide the already lifted end onto the roof.

It works really well and you can usually find them on ebay.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and ideas guys!

I'm not quite committed enough to the sport yet to shell out several hundred bucks for a roof rack, so for now I'm going to have to stick with the foam pads. Maybe when I've gone out on enough trips to wear out the foam pads I'll consider a roof rack. Pinch - the slipstream seems like a really great product - if you still like and recommend it by the time I'm ready to get a roof rack, I might go with that. The outrigger looks simple and easy to use too, and it would probably be cheaper.

I still am not entirely comfortable with lifting up the kayak by brute force, especially if I'm doing it after a tiring paddle. I think I might try to come up with some kind of contraption that I can place on my trunk to roll up the kayak onto the roof....something that'll work better than my yak cart.

Or maybe I can strap down a long pole on top of some foam pads on top of my car like a poor man's outrigger. Yea...I think I might try that first.
                          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Lots of "You Tube" DIY car loaders for loading Yaks by your self- trust me after spending 6 hours paddling yesterday, I understand being tired and trying to lift a load- I felt the same way, but after a while, you will- I did. Ordered mine yesterday morning early, before I loaded my Kayak up and went fishing. I have a bare roof, so I had to order the roof rack- after I install the Yakima roof rack, I'll still need additional kits.
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                            X