No-Can-Do-9th M&G, Snakeheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-Can-Do-9th M&G, Snakeheads

This thread is in response to post #33 in the 9th Jul snakehead hunt M&G thread.

Ok, let's start again.

This hunt sounds really cool, but the 9th appears to be a schedule conflict for me.

How about having a No-can-do-9th M&G? I'm thinking 25 Jun, 2 Jul or 3 Jul.

Any interest?

jffoley,
    Not sure how you figure the tide flow thing. Do these days have outgoing flows?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

jffoley,
    Not sure how you figure the tide flow thing. Do these days have outgoing flows?[/QUOTE]

............ only when you flush twice .........

Yea ........ they do have serious tides ........... lots of lily pads and grass ........ usually frogs are your best bet ........ VERY weedless frogs ....... and pay close attention to the tides ........... these are really deep mud flats .......... you get caught with the tide out ....... you have a long wait because you will not get out ...........

I know from experience ............ realized I had 6" of water or less and fired up all engines and poled as fast and hard as I could ......... almost burned up 2 engines and threw mud everywhere but just made it out of the pads ......... water was like coffee so you couldn't see the water dropping ........ especially when you were intent on fish .........

Comment

Tufnik,
      I don't think we've met officially but I probably won't be able to make it to the M&G that day either but I have a Snakehead spot that is a little closer to you (I'm in Lorton). If you want to go to Leesylvania State Park one of those days I'm in. There's also an area near possum point with acres and acres of lilly pads. Could be fun....
      www.anglerswithoutborders.com
      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I think a falling tide in the evening is best. But that's just me. Others may have success on an incoming. You can look them up on MD's DNR site:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/tides/index.asp

For that area I looked at tides for Indian Head, MD. June 25 high tide is 4:26PM so you have an evening outgoing. July 2 & 3 high tide is 9:27PM and 10:09PM so it's incoming late in the day.

Welcome back kanvery! How was the trip? BTW, would be interested to join you at Leesylvania sometime. Do you have to be out of there at dusk?

Comment

Hey John! The trip was awesome and hopefully soon there MAY be an article in Surf Casters Journal about it. I love Leesylvania SP because its only 10mins from my house. Along with Pohick Bay and Mason Neck I have really good snakehead grounds (although I have yet to catch one). I haven't been in the evening and usually go in the morning and stay till mid afternoon. The topwater action was hot last weekend and there are some HUGE largemouth in there that you can see swimming underneath your yak. I saw a couple other yakkers out there that got into a couple of snakeheads. I may go this weekend if you're interested. Also, if the bite is slow and you're feeling frisky Ft. Smallwood is only an 8mi paddle away
          Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
            Hey John! The trip was awesome and hopefully soon there MAY be an article in Surf Casters Journal about it. I love Leesylvania SP because its only 10mins from my house. Along with Pohick Bay and Mason Neck I have really good snakehead grounds (although I have yet to catch one). I haven't been in the evening and usually go in the morning and stay till mid afternoon. The topwater action was hot last weekend and there are some HUGE largemouth in there that you can see swimming underneath your yak. I saw a couple other yakkers out there that got into a couple of snakeheads. I may go this weekend if you're interested. Also, if the bite is slow and you're feeling frisky Ft. Smallwood is only an 8mi paddle away
            Hello kanvery, I am new to this forum but have been kayak fishing out of Leesylvaia for a little over 3 years, Pohick Bay also. (I like saltwater more) I normally go for cat fish but am getting more into Bass. Snakehead is on the top of my list this year. I am in Lorton also so let me know when your heading out and I will see if I catch up with you.
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Hi, Kanvery

Yeah, if you know where the snakeheads are, I'm game.

I'm planning to join Ron and jjoley (and others?) this Sunday, Father's Day. They're going to launch off Slavins and fish in Mattawoman.

I fished Leesylvannia about two years ago. Launched a few hundred yards south from the nice parking and boat ramp area. My launch point was next to some jogging trail. Lots of trees. I had to pull my yak down this fairly steep dirt slope to the partly sandy area. It was a hot afternoon with lots of bugs. Anyway, I went out in the open several hundred yards (lots of jet skiers out there) and under the bridge into a creek area. Used lures and caught nothing.

Maybe we can organize a M&G at Lee (or somewhere near) with you, Rockchaser, jjoley, myself and maybe others. Maybe 25 Jun, Sat?

If you guys are going this Saturday, I'm not sure I'll join you because I already plan to go to Slavins on Sunday.

You're going to have to give me a good snakehead recipe.
              Last edited by tufnik; 06-15-2011, 05:29 PM.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That sounds good to me and I may be able to make it out on Sunday as well I will let you guys know. I went out today before the rain turned torrential and we picked up a few largemouth. The gar were dormant today and I've noticed that as long as they keep to one area the bass stay active. No snakehead sightings today but I was only out for 40mins or so. I may head out tomorrow as well and try again before the rain starts. I may also try Pohick Bay I'll let you guys know which one and when before I head out if anyone wants to join after work.
                Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Working...
                X