pedal yaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedal yaks

Ok guys. I'm looking at pedal yaks. Paddling is give me real issues with my ulnar nerve. So maybe going to sWith. I'm wondering which boat may be better. I want to fish flats and stuff like the hrbt and cbbt. Currently fish the hrbt and flats in my moken 14 and love standing on the flats. For standing I understand the Slayer propel 13 and pro angler 14 would be the way to go. My question which yak is most favorable for what I want to do. I will try if possible first but just trying to inform myself. Also looking at the revo 13 and outback although it's shorter than I may like.

By the way I'm 6'1"230lb and am known to carry more than I need.

For those with the outback and revo what do you do for fish storage? I use a black pak for my tackle. I'm sure this thread has been beat to death but just looking for a little info.

Also is the 2015 really worth is over 2014 for outback and revo models. I found a local revo 13 for 1700 but it's the 2013 model with penguin fins

Gonna get a lot of different answers here as you'd expect. I have a revo and I travel light, don't want to tow a trailer, like to go fast, like to surf launch and don't value standing so its perfect for me. I just upgraded to the 2015 a couple weeks ago and I can't say enough about how much of an improvement the new seat and drive are over previous years. The ability to adjust the seat on the fly is great if you have back issues or sciatica or just like to fish for a long time. I sometimes use a milk crate in the back well but most times just a plano box and then various tools shoved in the mesh pockets.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I am the same size and Outback is what I would recommend for what you want to do. You can stand pretty easily in outback....don't need a PA to stand and fish flats. PA might work, but you are better off in revo or outback if you want to fish open water spots like cbbt. I considered slayer propel, but I primarily fish spots like you mention and wanted ability to flutter fins in shallow water and not worry so much about grass and stuff. Revo would be nice if you don't want to stand, but if you carry a lot of gear on your trips you are going to want that little bit of extra outback capacity at your size.

The new outback is plenty fast. I also had the same feeling about Outback being a bit on the short side though...after using it extensively, the only real complaint is how it handles with chasing seas--not a nice feeling far out in deep water by yourself (I was fishing in 100-130 fow up north last weekend in 3-4' waves with the waves chasing me coming back in and only a couple narrow spots which are not straight cliffs to get back to shore if something went wrong...felt myself tensing up a bit and had to zig zag a bit to make it back in to the cove where I launched). I wonder if the Outback was a little longer whether it would handle better with chasing waves. I have heard similar complaints about revo. The Outback seems more popular than revo around this area, but people seem to much prefer revo up in the Northeast since they mostly do a lot of open water up there.

-The outback handles surf launches fine also. Maybe revo is better for that, but I have not yet tried one myself. Whichever way you go, definitely try to go for a 2015 if you can afford it for the vantage seat and the new drive. But I heard you can actually upgrade the older drives with the new parts for about $150 if you can deal with that seat.
      Last edited by JohnE; 05-28-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

2014 Outback and Revo came with the transducer pocket. 2015 adds the new seat...I'd go with at least a 2014. The penguin fins are fine, but the sailing rudder is a very good upgrade...and should be standard equipment.

Edit add: The 2015 Outback deck is flattened out to make standing better also.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

........ I have heard that the Slayer makes you put your legs higher which puts more pressure on the back .......... It is also round pedaling instead of the push pull of the Hobie. I think YakFish reviewed these in his book

Comment

I recently bought the 2015 outback which- based on what you are saying you plan to use it for- is a boat that should serve you well. I'm very happy with mine, although I will admit I don't stand up very often. In my ocean kayak i would stand all the time, but when your feet are the method of propultion you tend to keep pedaling. It is comfortable enough to stand in but I just don't find I feel the need to do so as much. The high setting on the seat gives you a pretty high vantage point for seeing over the water. As far as standing and paddling the outback, you can pretty much forget that. The short length and fact that you have the fins down make that pretty useless. If you are looking primarily for a stand and fish platform the slayer is a great boat (despite the fact that it is very heavy)...my friend has one, but the hangup there is it doesn't handle very flat water as well as the hobie fins do. The other plus on the outback is it is fairly easy to car top. I wouldn't want to cartop the slayer propel 14 on my subaru.

my suggestion- keep your paddle boat for true flats use- and get the outback for everything else
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I was mistaken then the revo I found is a 2014 as it has the transducer pocket. Standing is not a necessity but I want to be able to handle all conditions. I know the current can't be a pita at hrbt sometimes and Def at the cbbt so I don't want to find myself wishing for different. Also Would Like To Check Out York Spit For cobia

Comment

Also I put kayak in truck sometimes other times on my trailer. I have an 8ft stake out pole I can use to pole if needed.

Never thought I'd be looking at pedal boats but I get one good trip and spend the rest of the week with random numb pinky ring and half the mile finger and wake up in the middle of the night with shooting pain. If I stay out of the yak then I don't have issues.

Comment

Just made the switch myself to an 2015 Outback. I think it's the best all around option for all fishing situations other than shallow rivers. Standing is doable, but no where near as stable as the PA. I demo both boats prior to purchase, used both with a cart, loaded and unloaded in my truck, etc. The Outback was not significantly easier to handle unless you're car topping. Anyone in reasonable physical condition should be able to rassle either boat into a truck bed just fine. Getting to remote launch areas via a cart you'll appreciate the weight of the Outback over the PA, but over short distances on a hard surface either is fine. On calm water I can stand no problem, however any sort of wave action better be seated. That's fine for me as I only wanted some way to stretch my legs occasionally, and maybe fly cast in calm water.

Storage I use a black pak, fits in the Outback perfectly.

If you decide on an Outback or Revo, the 2015 is absolutely worth the extra price, the seat is awesome! If you're getting one boat get an Outback, if you have a bigger budget get a Revo and a PA.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

.......... If you are fishing flats less than 1 1/2 ft then wade or flutter step ........ You can also easily paddle a Revo or outback

Comment

You have heard a lot of the positive things about various Hobie kayaks. They are great boats and are quite popular among snaggedline members. Native makes two models with foot pedal drive that are designed for standing - Slayer Propel 10 and Slayer Propel 13. The Slayer Propel 10 is a remarkable combination of light weight (57 lbs) but large weight capacity (500 lb). However, if you plan to fish large water bodies on a regular basis, I suggest the Slayer Propel 13 instead. It has a hull weight of 85 lbs (compare to Hobie models as listed on Hobie website: Revo 13 (70.5 lbs), Outback (12 ft and 81 lbs), Pro Angler 12 (105 lbs), and Pro Angler 14 (120.5 lbs)). I think the Slayer Propel 13 compares most closely to the Outback in length, weight, weight capacity).

Before buying a pedal drive kayak, make sure you plan for how you will transport it from home to the launch site and how/where you will store it at your home. That may help you make a decision.

Regarding the drive mechanism, each brand has its own propulsion system. Both work well but they are different. Both are complex mechanical devices that do require some basic maintenance (lubrication, tightening bolts and screws, rinsing, etc). The Hobie system uses a front-to-back pushing motion that drives fins and provides excellent forward propulsion (it is not able to move in reverse). The Native system uses a circular peddling motion, like a bicycle. The Propel system drives a two-bladed propeller under water and allows both forward and reverse motion). Both have rudders.

Memory Maker wrote: "I have heard that the Slayer makes you put your legs higher which puts more pressure on the back". The current version of the Propel is designed to place your hips in a horizontal line with the pedal axle shaft. I have never used a Mirage Drive so I am not able to offer my own opinion on relative comfort.

Each of the models offers certain features that may be of greater or lesser interest to you. Before spending over $2,000 for a kayak, you would be wise to do on-the-water demos if possible, or at least look at them and sit in the seat in a store.

If you want more information about the Native Products, you are welcome to send me a pmail.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I used to have lots of neck and back problems from my paddle yak. At this point I haven't had any of those issues with my hobie. That seat is very adjustable -even when you're on the water.

I'd take advantage of a local shop where you could possibly demo your top picks before biting the bullet.
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I Def plan to and there's a fellow tkaa member in vb willing to let me try his slayer propel 13

Comment

I've never tried one, but have trolled next to folks with the Slayer Propel kayaks, and the constant "whirl" sound the propeller puts off is "unnatural". Almost the same sound (but quieter) as compared to an electric trolling motor. I don't know if fish care, but I like to be as quiet as possible and minimize any audible noise/vibration that could spook fish.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Hey my first post! Yeah I have the 2015 PA-14. Be advised it is a tank. I trailer it, no car topping it.stable as all get out, but really heavy. I have been doing big water in it and it is vert stable. Get down to Backyard boats in Annapolis and demo both before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X