No announcement yet.

pedal yaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hobie proangler12 and my gf has a 2015outback, i have taken my proangler anywhere from shallow rocky rivers, to spatterdock loaded mudflats and tidal ponds to open bay water. I like the fact that when your in less than 12" of water u can still flutter the fins and move forward, yeah you wont be fluttering 4mph but you will still be moving forward and fishing. I beach my yak without removing the drive unit, i smash it into rocks, i drag it through sand, mud over trees, guard rails, cement curbs, up and down high docks.. And i never remove the drive unit. And i have only once sheared the gears off one of my fins. Still on the original chain. When i did actually shear the gears i was doing about 7mph down a ledge on the susquehanna river where there was a big boulder that i didnt see pior making the decision to go down that path. And no it wasnt the first time i smashed dead stop on a rock lol. The drive unit is very durable. The fins are not. I have since added lexan guards to the front of my fins and im still on my original set of st turbo fins. The proangler can be heavy but i workout alot so its weight is managable for me. If u ask me there has not been a better yak made. I really like being able to store the rods horizontally inside the kayak, so over hanging trees are not an issue with me. Pedaling a mirage drive is alot like a stair stepper.
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Reading that last post makes me cringe, lol. I wouldn't be as worried about the drive unit or fins as the actual hull itself, sounds like you're putting an awful lot of strain around the mirage well, it's going to crack eventually with that sort of abuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        I've never tried one, but have trolled next to folks with the Slayer Propel kayaks, and the constant "whirl" sound the propeller puts off is "unnatural". Almost the same sound (but quieter) as compared to an electric trolling motor. I don't know if fish care, but I like to be as quiet as possible and minimize any audible noise/vibration that could spook fish.
        You are correct that the Propel generates a low-level whirling sound of the prop spinning and the gears meshing. Several of my regular fishing buddies use Hobies. Their Mirage drives also make a low-level repetitive "whooshing" noise that I can hear when fishing nearby them -- this is caused by the foot pedals moving back and forth and the fins moving underwater. Both drive systems are mechanical devices with moving parts. It is inevitable that there will be some noise. Even a paddle kayak makes noise from paddle splashing, water dripping off the paddle blades as they are lifted out of the water, and the hull moving through the water.

In addition to audible noise that we can hear above the water, devices moving through the water generate pressure waves that can be sensed by fish adapted to an aquatic environment. Propellers, fins, paddle blades, even the hulls themselves disturb the water as the kayak moves along.

Kayaks are generally much quieter than power boats, but they are not silent. I suspect that sounds made by dropping something on the kayak floor, setting a rod or paddle down so it bumps on the hull, or other non-propulsion noises are likely to be much more noticeable to fish than a steady, repetitive propulsion noise. I agree with your premise of being as quiet as possible. But unless we are sitting completely still, we cannot be fully silent out there.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          You are correct that the Propel generates a low-level whirling sound of the prop spinning and the gears meshing. Several of my regular fishing buddies use Hobies. Their Mirage drives also make a low-level repetitive "whooshing" noise that I can hear when fishing nearby them -- this is caused by the foot pedals moving back and forth and the fins moving underwater. Both drive systems are mechanical devices with moving parts. It is inevitable that there will be some noise. Even a paddle kayak makes noise from paddle splashing, water dripping off the paddle blades as they are lifted out of the water, and the hull moving through the water.
          I must just be so used to the Mirage drive that I've become oblivious to the noise it makes...now you have me self conscious about it.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
            Reading that last post makes me cringe, lol. I wouldn't be as worried about the drive unit or fins as the actual hull itself, sounds like you're putting an awful lot of strain around the mirage well, it's going to crack eventually with that sort of abuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            When it finally breaks i will know its limits lol. Till then im gonna treat it like a tank. Haha
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Does anyone ever see any of these pedal yaks on sale anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by mebe007 View Post
                Does anyone ever see any of these pedal yaks on sale anywhere?
                Not usually, unless it is new stock sitting at a dealer from a previous year.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I think Easton Kayak just posted that they got a shipment in. I know there were complaints on the Hobie board that they couldn't keep up with the orders

Comment

I just bought 2 hobie, a pa 14 for me & an outback for wife. I tried slayer propel & hobies & was more comfortable in hobies. Everyone is different. You have to try out the boat you intend to purchase. Slayer makes an awesome boat, but I was more comfortable in hobie yaks.
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
                    X