A jet-powered "kayak"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A jet-powered "kayak"

I saw an article about the Mokai jet-drive kayak. http://www.mokai.com/the-mokai-es-kape/

I visited their website to check it out. It is a far cry from the lightweight stealthy fishing craft that most of us use. But it is an intriguing look at how the basic kayak hull can evolve to unusual new forms.

With 100 lbs of engine in the stearn, I don't imagine it paddles very well. With the noise and turbulence when the jet drive on, sonar signals are likely to be mixed up somewhat too.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

this part sucks...

"Does the MOKAI have a neutral feature?MOKAI boats are direct drive and engage the jet pump once the engine is started. True ECO-friendly directives discourage the idling of an Internal Combustion Engine."

sigpic

Comment

Expensive jon boat IMO, but I am sure someone will buy it.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I know someone that used to own one. They are loud as hell. He sold it. Fun concept, but I'd probably have to wear ear plugs to enjoy it.

Comment

I've seen one used on the Potomac River. The guy launched from the Brunswick boat ramp and zoomed away up river to fish. They are neat and yes the thing was loud.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            But it is an intriguing look at how the basic kayak hull can evolve to unusual new forms.
            Speaking of intriguing kayak evolutions... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimEMplkf34

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
              Speaking of intriguing kayak evolutions... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimEMplkf34
              that's pretty cool. I wonder how deep it will go
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I saw one when they first came out about 8 yrs ago or so. They use to have a removable engine and one piece body design. Have not seen or heard about them again until now.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                  I've seen one used on the Potomac River. The guy launched from the Brunswick boat ramp and zoomed away up river to fish. They are neat and yes the thing was loud.
                  I think I saw the same guy last year.
                  Mike

Comment

I saw one at point of rocks. It was yellow neat little boat. It was really loud and I was 50 yards away. My 60/40 jet is not as loud as that boat.

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                      Expensive jon boat IMO, but I am sure someone will buy it.
                      Nailed it. I don't think you get the same brownie points a kayak angler gets, by using that lol.
                      Zack
                      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                      X