Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ'd CNR

Hey fellers

I have tomorrow off work and really wanted to go after some rays. I know some of you are shaking your heads reading this right now. But I really want to cross another fish off my species list( and I'll use any excuse I can to get the yak in some salt water). Not to mention I'm having a BBQ this weekend and wouldn't mind trying my hand at grilling a couple.

From what I've gathered lots of guys are seeing them at JGSP. Anywhere else where they're really thick now? I haven't read too much about what they'll hit other than gulp occasionally. Lots of guys suggesting to just snag them.

I'm going to strap a cooler to the back of my kayak, and have a knife ready to chop the wings off immediately (that's what I've read you're supposed to do). Any other suggestions to make the trip a little easier?
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Unless you have a long gaff or something, I'd suggest staying near a beach where you are able to pull the yak up on and then drag the ray on as well. Landing these things on a kayak in open water, is probably nearly impossible.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Pick most any saltwater location and any species other than CNR's. Spend roughly $20 on some new shinny new lures and begin to troll. You'll catch them all day long.

But seriously...I would suggest the wye river. They are usually thick there this time of year.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I saw so many schools of them Sunday, just south of the bay bridge where all the crab pots are.
        sigpic

Comment

I've caught a few recently for the first time. I caught the majority of them using clams while drum fishing. This may sound weird but they are now one of my favorite fish to catch. I don't keep fish and they fight better then anything else I've hooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          1980 Something Old Town Canoe
          2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
          2015 Coosa HD
          2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
          2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
            Any other suggestions to make the trip a little easier?
            Don't get hit by the barb! They go pretty crazy yak side just trying to unhook them. How do you plan to hack the wings off them while they are flapping like mad and you're sitting in a kayak? Kill it first?
            Brian

Comment

have to knock them out with a fish bat while holding them with the leader at side of the kayak i would guess
              sigpic

Comment

I saw one laying completely still on the bottom of an Eastern Bay ledge this morning. The water was very clear -- I could see this ray laying in 4 ft depth.

001.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Do they strike the lures or are they getting snagged mostly?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

yes, they strike lures
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                      yes, they strike lures
                      I lost a brand new 6" X-Rap on the Wye to a big ray a couple weeks ago while trolling. I thought I hooked the Striper of a lifetime because I too didn't think rays hit lures. Every time the ray got close to the yak it would make a drag sreaming dive so lure retrieval was hopless. In the melee I also lost a jighead and paddletail that snagged the bottom while I was fighting this "trophy". Not a big fan of rays.

Comment

It just surprises me how many people hate these things. Everything everyone says about them that is irritating, sounds so appealing to me. Anything that is big and strong is a-ok on the end of this snaggedliner's line. I think I might try gulp for them. Not too sure where to grab bait from out that way.

And yes, I'm definitely not bringing a live ray into my lap lol. If it's going in the cooler, it's getting a swift knock on the head via a mini bat I have. Still deciding if I want to go after them tomorrow or make the much closer trip to Fletchers and play with the big kitties >:-)
                        Zack
                        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I stabbed the one I got in the head several times with scissors and it was still flopping! The weirdest part was when I cut the wings off they tried to swim away...
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                            It just surprises me how many people hate these things. Everything everyone says about them that is irritating, sounds so appealing to me. Anything that is big and strong is a-ok on the end of this snaggedliner's line. I think I might try gulp for them. Not too sure where to grab bait from out that way.

And yes, I'm definitely not bringing a live ray into my lap lol. If it's going in the cooler, it's getting a swift knock on the head via a mini bat I have. Still deciding if I want to go after them tomorrow or make the much closer trip to Fletchers and play with the big kitties >:-)
                            i dont mind catching them too much, i guess the only thing that bothers me is it takes time away from catching my intended target, and i loose the lure.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                            I stabbed the one I got in the head several times with scissors and it was still flopping! The weirdest part was when I cut the wings off they tried to swim away...
                            ha, that's creepy
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              I saw one laying completely still on the bottom of an Eastern Bay ledge this morning. The water was very clear -- I could see this ray laying in 4 ft depth.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16071[/ATTACH]
                              It probably didn't move because it's dead. Its half rotten looking.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X