Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot perch bite in Weems Creek (Severn River)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot perch bite in Weems Creek (Severn River)

When I say hot bite, it can be taken two ways. The perch are all over the place and are hitting various types of lures. The weather on the water has been hot too.

I have gotten out in Weems Creek and other nearby spots a bunch of times during the past few weeks in my kayak. I am throwing small soft plastics on spinner arms, one of Woody's lures, tiny Storm shads, and even experimented with a large Mepps spinner and a 3" hard plastic minnow (no bites on the hard plastic, and a few bites but no hookups on the Mepps). I think a 3" to 4" lure is about the largest prey image that the fish are looking for. If I use anything larger, I don't get bites. Of course, if you are looking for a rockfish in those waters, a bigger bait is a good idea.

The perch seem to be living from the shoreline out to about 8' depth -- I get no bites when I am deeper than that. The fishfinder on my kayak helps me keep from fishing too deep.

Woody (from the Tidalfish board) has reported that he found perch mainly in the shade. I have found fish in both shade and sun. I think they are out there all over the place. I have caught them by casting and retrieving, very slow ultralight tackle trolling, vertical jigging (when a fish follows the lure to the boat, just flip it back in and jig it a bit), and even by letting a lure hang in the water while I am untangling the line.

There is loads of natural bait in Weems. In almost all the shallow areas there are numerous small slender minnows. I see some schools of very small peanut bunker out in deeper areas. They make small splashes and ripples in dozens of spots as far as I can see. Yesterday I saw bunches of what appeared to be small needlefish (~6" long) scooting along at the surface near my kayak.

Earlier in the week, I fished another creek somewhat downstream from Weems and was surprised to catch a 14" pickerel.

Two weeks ago in Weems, I saw out of the corner of my eye a large ugly chocolate-brown object in the water about 20' away. When I turned to look directly at it, the object submerged. My initial reaction was that it was a large snapping turtle, although I did not get a good look at it.

Plus the birdwatching is great.

If you can find the time (especially now that it stays light out until 8:30 to 9:00 in the evening), check out Weems or our other local tidal creeks. The fishing for perch is awesome now.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Hey John
    Shsssssss! Lol!
    Thanks for the report, Foursteps24 & I are going out in the morning around 7:00.
    Join us.
    GB

Comment

Thanks for that report and info. Cant waitto get out there tomorrow. Will report back tomorrow

Comment

Darn.... you guys are always going on a Friday when I cannot go ...lol. Good luck and send a report. I plan on fishing...hopefully, Saturday evening or Sunday.

Comment

Sorry Martin. I am off every Friday so i wont be sitting at hime with this nice weather while others are at work. LOL! Im available on the weekends too. Just not this weekend.

Comment

i can assure you they were probably snappers. I grew up on weems and had a hand in getting those turtles in there. My sister worked at a wildlife refuge in highschool and one day she came home with a bunch of massive tupperware-like underbed storage drawers that each had a huge snapping turtle in it. I guess she volunteered that she lived right on the water and could easily release them... stupid idea... anyway we dumped them near the community pier, away from our house, as per our parents orders. This was one of the more idiotic things i was a part of when i was little. i never really felt comfortable swimming in the creek from then on and we would snag them fishing every once in a while. they were huge then, which was about 15 years ago, if they are still around i'd imagine they are the size of godzilla.
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Working...
            X