Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBB First Timer

Hey folks,

I am hoping to fish the Chesapeake Bay Bridge this Thursday. I will be launching from Sandy Point. Do most folks go out at the main park ramps or the small craft launch north of the beach? Any advice for a newbie to the sight would be most welcome!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Bruce - I usually launch from SPSP boat ramp and fish the pilings. Get some bloodworms and use a top/bottom rig drop them down by the pilings you will catch white perch easy fun action. If you can catch some smaller sized WP live line them.

Comment

Thinking about heading here on saturday. Do you anchor at the bridge pilings or just drift? I would think with bottom fishing you'd want to anchor?

Comment

I launch at the boat ramp also.
        Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
        Thinking about heading here on saturday. Do you anchor at the bridge pilings or just drift? I would think with bottom fishing you'd want to anchor?
        That's another time a pedal kayak has a big advantage, we can stay in place by pedaling against the current.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

No it can get hairy there if you anchor. I drift around the pilings and either have the paddle in my lap to keep position/push away from pilings or use my peddles on my Hobie. I think if you anchor at the pilings closer to the launch it can be done as it's not that deep. If you do be ready to lose an anchor or 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            That's another time a pedal kayak has a big advantage, we can stay in place by pedaling against the current.
            Or an Ocean Kayak Torque.
            Most times its easier than messing with the anchor.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I find it easier to launch from the boat ramp. It's paved and you can drop it off right there next to the water. The other launch is a beach launch. You would need to get it across the sand area which is a pain IMO. Just be careful if you plan to go towards the Rock Island in the center span area. The current can be ripping pretty fast depending on the tide. Check the tides and be mindful of your surrounding for motor boats out there.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

I've done both but the boat launch puts me at the bridge a bit quicker plus I can fish the sheltered out of the wind areas from the boat launch if the wind is kicking.

Comment

Thanks all,

I am looking at the rock pile or possibly out by the light house. There are some humps on my charts out that way that look interesting....
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I'll be heading out Saturday from the boat ramp. I have a trolling motor, so I'll either keep it on the lowest setting to try and maintain position or use my paddle instead of anchoring by the bridge pilings. Looking forward to catching some spot or perch! Let me know how you do on Thursday Bruce.

Comment

Took some nice Rock schoolies on an X-Man jig amongst the piling as along with some perch. CNR were abundant along the dropoff running between the bridge and the light house. They ate a brand new Yo-Zuri...
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Nice, maybe I will troll a little as well as bottom fish if there are stripers around. I have a new Berkeley schooling rig I want to try out. I might jig some as well with an spro bucktail. Bottom fishing with bloodworm will be my main objective though. I'm hoping to come home with a nice dinner for Saturday night...and maybe Sunday too!

Comment

I will be out there Sat first light launching out of SPSP hope to see you out there.

Comment

Saw at least 6 or 7 other kayaks if not more while I was out....a very slow day fishing, but pleasant to be on the water. I just got a small croaker and a small spot. Disappointing, really. How did others fare? I swore I saw a small group of sharks with fins protruding from the water. I tried to catch it on the gopro...I'm going to check it later and see if I caught them on film. I'll post if I find them....they were small, but they sure looked like sharks!

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                              Saw at least 6 or 7 other kayaks if not more while I was out....a very slow day fishing, but pleasant to be on the water. I just got a small croaker and a small spot. Disappointing, really. How did others fare? I swore I saw a small group of sharks with fins protruding from the water. I tried to catch it on the gopro...I'm going to check it later and see if I caught them on film. I'll post if I find them....they were small, but they sure looked like sharks!
                              Probably cow nose rays.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                              X