Weems Wednesday 6-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Wednesday 6-17

I managed to shuck off some responsibilities for important stuff: fishing!

I launched at Tucker St. around 9:30. Headed towards the Severn to a spot that usually holds pickerel. Nada, just a couple of smallish perch.
    The tide was high, and the water was extremely clear, with 2 1/2 feet of visibility.

So I about-faced and returned to the areas above the bridges where I had a lot of success last week.
    Upstream of the bridges the water was a bit more turbid, but still much clearer than last week. Figure 18" or better. There was not as much floating grass on the water,today.
    Lots of baitfish in the water, ranging from tiny fry, to what are most likely 2 inch peanut bunker flashing below them, and pods of rain minnows schooled up and skittering on the surface. Looks like a good spawning year.

Today, the ticket was fallen wood, the older and gnarlier, the better. If there were weeds nearby, better still, and if they were in the shade, best of all. With the tide high, I found the "zone" was about 4-6 feet deep. The only perch I caught around the docks were mostly smaller ones.

I didn't keep count, but suffice it to say that I caught "enough". A bunch of perch up 9+ inches, a whole lot of smaller ones and maybe 4 pickerel, one a "gator," probably the third biggest I've ever caught. (I'll post some photos later today). Figure right around 24."

What did I catch them on?
    Like you have to ask?

Bignose Spinner jigs. (I know a guy who keeps me supplied with them).
    I gave away several of my striped blade versions to Snagged Line members today (sorry, I can't remember your online names) only to lose the last one I had with me to a Pumpkinseed.
    So I had to switch over to a Chartreuse Green tail with a Green /Orange/Chartreuse holographic blade. This was less effective than the striped blade last week, but it still worked pretty well.

All-in-all, a very enjoyable day.

Good report Stu and congratulations on your success.

And to think...I was right there yesterday and failed to venture far into Weems.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
      I managed to shuck off some responsibilities for important stuff: fishing!

What did I catch them on?
      Like you have to ask?

Bignose Spinner jigs. (I know a guy who keeps me supplied with them).
      I gave away several of my striped blade versions to Snagged Line members today (sorry, I can't remember your online names) only to lose the last one I had with me to a Pumpkinseed.
      So I had to switch over to a Chartreuse Green tail with a Green /Orange/Chartreuse holographic blade. This was less effective than the striped blade last week, but it still worked pretty well.

Nice to meet you today. It is DonV and Michelle. Thank you for your generosity but now you got me feeling bad about taking your last spinner. You know what they say about no good deeds.

Glad you found the fish seemed to be dying down for us toward the end. All ours were caught on your spinners with the copper blade, they work well. I put some effort into using a small roadrunner head with a 2" twister tail, Michelle was doing some casting a small gulp minnow both to no avail, every fish was on the spinners.

My first time at Weems and it was very enjoyable and nice to meet a fellow Snaggedliner. Nice picturesque protected area for paddle.
      Last edited by DonV; 06-17-2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

My pleasure to help you guys out!
        I gotta keep trying to earn those "good karma" points!

20150617_110037-2.jpg

20150617_101535.jpg

A few of today's friends. All released to play another day!

Comment

Nice work Stu. Weems seems to be fickle -- one day great catching, the next so-so. I'm glad you hit it on a good day.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hey scott taylor
            please clear out your P.M.s
            I tried to send you a message and apparently your box is full.
            Stu

Comment

Looks like the Perch & Pickerel are making the trips worth the effort.

John R
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow, the more the merrier. I want a pike.

Comment

Good luck
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Stu,
                    Nice report of your Wednesday outing on Weems....
                    I caught the WP on a white Bignose today, mostly under docks.LOve the red flash in the white... Congrats on the fat chain pickerel. Will do on the mailbox, thanks for the heads up!
                    ST

Comment

Working...
                    X