Cow nose ray tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow nose ray tournament

Heard on the news that there was a cow nose ray "tournament" where they were killing them with bats and bows in Mechanicsville.

I don't want to seem preachy, but this is not the type of "tournament" needed. It will seriously harm the population of rays given their low reproduction rate. Even CNRs have a place in the bay.

http://wtop.com/maryland/2015/06/md-...ng-tournament/

Originally posted by BalmerBrian View Post
    Heard on the news that there was a cow nose ray "tournament" where they were killing them with bats and bows in Mechanicsville.

I don't want to seem preachy, but this is not the type of "tournament" needed. It will seriously harm the population of rays given their low reproduction rate. Even CNRs have a place in the bay.

http://wtop.com/maryland/2015/06/md-...ng-tournament/

Comment

been happening for years and years and as we know there are no shortages of rays . i have been trying to eliminate carp from the face of the earth with my bow for a long time and feel i have not made a dent
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

First year for this tournament.

Comment

There have been tournaments around the Bay for years........we can't wait for the Bullsharks to re-enter the bay, I'm pro- bowfishing for rays
          Please start at St Jerome's creek
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Killing them is one thing, doing it humanely is another and the way described is not.
            Last edited by On the fly; 06-23-2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment

I must agree with Harry.
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I'm not a fan of the CNR, but killing them for "sport" does not align with my thoughts on the species...or my view of conservation.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Not a fan of CNR, Seems the bay is a major breeding ground for CNR. Killing for sport and dumping back in the water is senseless. Of course anytime the media gets ahold of anything, it becomes controversial.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I get it, bowfishing is a sport just like anything else and to each their own, but for me there are plenty of other ways to enjoy archery without impacting native species. Everything has it's place and we usually don't understand what that is until it's gone unfortunately.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Contrary to what was stated above, this there are multiple tournaments in this area every year for 4 or 5 yeras running....CNR appear to have thrived. I agree that there should not be "Wonton waste" of the carcasses.....but just because the SHARK says they were dumped in the river does not mean that that was true.....that was not an unbiased report. Im sure many became crab pot bait.
                      If You want to rage, rage. But that fish needs managing and is devasting the bay...especially shellfish beds. they need a predator
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        Contrary to what was stated above, this there are multiple tournaments in this area every year for 4 or 5 yeras running....CNR appear to have thrived. I agree that there should not be "Wonton waste" of the carcasses.....but just because the SHARK says they were dumped in the river does not mean that that was true.....that was not an unbiased report. Im sure many became crab pot bait.
                        If You want to rage, rage. But that fish needs managing and is devasting the bay...especially shellfish beds. they need a predator
                        Some good points there, we need some of those sharks down in NC!
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          Absolutely correct. The increase in the cownose ray population is attributed to the decline of their predators - mainly sharks. Now the increased abundance of rays is having a negative effective on shellfish numbers. A good culling of some rays from a couple tournaments a year is not going to crash the population, and could help maintain ray numbers at a healthier, more sustainable, level by making up for the lack of natural mortality that predators used to have on rays. There have been many articles and publications, with support of fisheries managers, trying to encourage people and restaurants to harvest cownose rays for table fare to try and create more of a commercial interest in them to help reduce their abundance.

If in fact they were just dumped and wasted after the tournament then that shouldn't be promoted however.
                          Brian

Comment

Crabs and raccoons need food too
                            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                              Crabs and raccoons need food too
                              The waste part casts all of us sportsman that utilize the bay in a bad light.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X