Garmin Echomap 44DV Transducer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Echomap 44DV Transducer Question

I received a Garmin Echomap 44DV for Fathers Day. Mounting went as expected for both the battery and Transducer. I elected to go with the in hull transducer mount using Duct Seal. When I got on the water the unit powered up and everything worked perfectly except the transducer feedback. It was not reading any depth at all. It was almost like my hull was to thick and it could not read through it. I went back to the launch and pulled the transducer out of the duct seal. I went back on the water, this time holding the transducer over the side below water level. Everything worked perfectly. It was picking up blades of grass and schools of fry. I went back to the launch and in knee deep water put the transducer back in the now much wider duct seal trough. No duct seal against the transducer except a little pinch in the middle. Workred perfectly in the hull now. So, two questions for you Garmin owners. Does water need to be in the duct seal trough, or do you need to keep space between the transducer sides and the duct seal. I have a GT 20 Transducer.

Any and all feedback appreciated
    Pelican Strike 100X

Unfortunately, while I use the same type of FF (and I love it!), mine is mounted so the transducer is not shooting through he hull. Is your current modification working for you? I receive excellent signal at all times. Would you consider an external mount?
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I've taken it out twice since making the well larger and only touching the GT 20 in the middle. Once in Tridelphia and once out of Jonas Green. It worked perfectly both times. My next move was going to an external mount but since everything seems to be working I am going to stick to the in hull mount for awhile. I even did some depth verification and it seems spot on. I did find through some deep digging at GARMIN that they offer a in hull kayak mount for $19. It is now on its way to me.
      As a personal comment, I LOVE THIS THING. I could not be happier now that the transducer issue is solved. I've been running the split screen most of the time and the bottom detail is amazing on the down scan, as well as the sonar marking fish and schools of fry.
      Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Hi I am no expert but use the same FF . I think the Garmin mount works great . It is easy to put in and holds the transducer we'll . One just adds a small amount of water and then the transducer . If you load your kayak upside down as I do the water will come out and need replacing at next use . I remove mine after each use . I use the same transducer in 2 kayaks and it is much easier to move back and forth with the Garmin mount than duck seal . The only problem I am having is the depth blinkes on and off with haul slap but worked fine when I am not moving or the water calm .

Comment

Still waiting for the Garmin in hull kayak mount, so I am still asking questions blind.
          I take it from your comments then that if easily reachable it is not nessesarily a permanent mount. You just pull the transducer out from the top side?
          Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

It will work best if you have a fairly flat spot . Just clean the spot , stick the foam block in , wate 24 hr. ( the hardest part ) . The block is pre cut for the transducer . Add a small amount of water press the transducer in , it fites good . It is so simple that is hard to believe it works . I am going to order a second one so I can use the same transducer in 2 kayaks .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
              Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Working...
              X