Newbie headed to Jug Bay Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie headed to Jug Bay Friday

I am going to be down in Lothian for the 4th and I want to sneak out to fish Jug Bay. I will be putting in at Wayson's Corner and heading to the bay from there. How is the Largemouth fishery? I fully expect to catch perch, but don't know what else I will find as I have never fished the area. Have any snakeheads made it into that watershed yet?

Any advice to make my limited time on the water productive would be appreciated!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

I was there three weeks ago and didn't do well at all. caught a few dinks and one largemouth about 15 inches. all fish came in the lillypads but it was a tough grind to pull those few bites. I will say that it was a flat calm hot as heck day when I went. maybe a bit of a breeze might of turned on the bite. I went way north as well up some feeder creeks for nothing either. I didn't hook or see anyone hook a snakehead while there either. good luck
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I used to live on Hill Street where you're probably launching your kayak from. Years ago me and my friend used to take a canoe downriver towards jug bay. We would throw white and chartreuse buzz baits through all the cracks in the lily pads. It was an awesome time and we caught A lot of 2 to 6 pound largemouth bass! Don't know if they're still down there like they used to be but it was a heckuva time and definitely worth a shot! I even caught a catfish trolling with a spinner bait believe it or not. Please post the report afterwards. Good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        I am going to be down in Lothian for the 4th and I want to sneak out to fish Jug Bay. I will be putting in at Wayson's Corner and heading to the bay from there.
        FYI, Jackson's Landing is situated at the north end of Jug Bay. Nice launch with plenty of parking. It would save you that 3+ mile paddle downstream and give you more time fishing.

Best luck to ya!
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I agree with Jackson Landing. I have not fished Jug Bay this year, but last year I caught small channel cats and a few blue cats in the 20's range. I was using chicken tenders and night crawlers for bait.

Comment

Don't want to rain on your trip, but the river is so muddy right now you could probably walk to Jug Bay and not get wet.

Comment

And muddy it was.... Opted to forgo the opportunity and live to fish another day. Enjoyed the company of good friends and a couple of cold beverages on dry land instead. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will file them away for the next time I am down that way
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
              X