Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabbing

Does anyone know of a good spot to go crabbing on the Severn River? Got out there too late yesterday and there was already trotliners all over the place. I'm going out again really early tomorrow morning and was trying to snag a good spot. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm launching from Jonas green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We gave it a try there today, launched at JG and went directly across to the other shore and set up hand lines and folding net/traps; the crabs didn't cooperate very well. Sparky1423 got one that was just over 6", I had quite a few let go of the bait as soon as I would start lifting them off the bottom. It was my very first attempt, need some more "training".
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Great time on the water Carter, I savored my only catch of the day....my kitchen smells like I cooked a bushel! It was hilarious seeing that CNR take off with my cut bunker, my crab float looked like a giant bobber cruising a 5mph. Where to crab on the Severn...best bet is to find the oyster beds. Look for other trotlines and traps soaking, that will give you an idea of where some of the hotspots are. Also try and search the internets for Severn River oyster restoration locations. Watching Severn River kayak crabbing videos will help also, keep an eye out for landmarks!
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Yeah, that was funny watching your float take off down the river with you chasing it. I definitely want to give it another try. I'm seriously considering a trot line, the videos that MOC and MetroMan put together make that method look a lot more productive than the hand lines we were using. I really wanted Cowkid2 to get one in the kayak, that would have gotten her excited...and taken her mind off of the "paddle". If she was in a pedal kayak, I'm sure she would have been more "in to it". Thanks again for letting her borrow your Moken.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

I used 1200 feet of trotline 2 600 foot lines which proved to be a little too much for a kayak thinking of using one 800 foot next time. got out there really late but still caught a dozen crabs

Comment

Everyone else that got out there at sun up caught around a half a bushel or more

Comment

What do you use for the "main line"?
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
                Everyone else that got out there at sun up caught around a half a bushel or more

I was on the water about 6am, had the first bait soaking 10 minutes later.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  What do you use for the "main line"?
                  The spool says its 5/32/44mm 1200ft and I put a 2 inch piece of chicken neck about 5 to 6 feet away from each other all the way down the line

Comment

The spool says its 5/32/44mm 1200ft and I put a 2 inch piece of chicken neck about 5 to 6 feet away from each other all the way down the line

Could you post a picture of the label on the spool and a piece of the line?
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

I used 1200 feet of trotline 2 600 foot lines which proved to be a little too much for a kayak thinking of using one 800 foot next time. got out there really late but still caught a dozen crabs

Maybe we should be asking you where to crab on the Severn! That's an impressive catch, my primary goal was just to get the mechanics down, the crab was a bonus...didn't mean to hijack your thread
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

A lot of people doing the same things I was doing got a lot more then me. I just got out there to late. I'll post pics of the line in a minute

Comment

Could you post a picture of the label on the spool and a piece of the line?
                          here's a picture of the spool label and the line and the buoys and weights that I used with my chain

Comment

Thanks!
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks!
                              Anytime man! I'm going again tomorrow morning. I'll post pics of my catch. My goal is at least 2 dozen. Got some big one yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X