Just back from Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just back from Minnesota

I grew up in MN and just got back from a family vacation. I couldn't take my Moken with me but my uncle purchased a pair of real cheap sit-in kayaks. I borrowed one and headed into the BWCA for a few hours by myself. If you don't know about the BWCA you need to look it up, a really special place on this planet, Basically it is a string of lakes set aside for canoeing and kayaking with no motors or sails or any other type of contraption.

In about 4 hours of fishing I caught 6 good sized small mouthed bass and two small walleyes. I had hooked into two much larger fish but due to the fact I was using OLD, Light line (6 lb test I think and really dry rotted). I lost them, their fight was fun though as they were able to go on a nice run against the drag before the line caught a tooth or rock or something.

All in all It was a really good time.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I was intrigued by your description so I looked up BWCA on-line.

Absolutely beautiful.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was considering vacationing in Minnesota last year and happened into seeing some information on the BWCA. Looks like a lovely place. Minnesota in general seems to be a great for kayaks. I'm envious.

Comment

It is a dream of mine to get some solid Kayak fishermen, load up the kayaks on a trailer and drive to Northern Minnesota. Spend 5 or so days exploring the wilderness up there and catch a TON of fish of all types. It takes 30 hours to drive from the balt area, but with 3 people driving we cold go straight through.. of course it is 30 hours back wasting 4 vacation days in travel.. but it is still a dream of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
          It is a dream of mine to get some solid Kayak fishermen, load up the kayaks on a trailer and drive to Northern Minnesota. Spend 5 or so days exploring the wilderness up there and catch a TON of fish of all types. It takes 30 hours to drive from the balt area, but with 3 people driving we cold go straight through.. of course it is 30 hours back wasting 4 vacation days in travel.. but it is still a dream of mine.
          Quite a drive, I had already plugged in the route after reading your post has me thinking about it again. I definitely want kayak access if I visit.

Comment

You can fly up there and rent all the gear you need including camp food from a place called Clearwater Outfitters (on Clearwater lake). but they only have canoes.. and we all know that canoes are NOT kayaks, and kayaks are NOT fishing kayaks.

Comment

Fwiw...for those around here, Maine offers much of the same scenery and fishing, with a much shorter drive. Probably get to Maine from Bmore in 14 hrs? Its 10ish to central New Hampshire.

Maine has a lot of smallish lakes that are great for kayaks...many undisturbed. Its a bucketlister for me def.

Comment

I get 20 hours from DC on google maps. Still a long drive. I've driven with a buddy to Utah for elk. About the same distance. Had grand plans of driving through. Easier said than done.

Comment

Maine is indeed beautiful. I've fished for SM bass on a few desolate lakes there. Some are so isolated it's almost eerie. But if you go at the right time, the black flies will keep you company!
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I drove straight through from Portsmouth VA to Duluth MN a couple times.. I was in my early 20s and all Gorked out on Ephedrine.. but I did it. These days it would kill me I think.
                    When Googling you have to tell it you are going to "Grand marais" MN.

Comment

Working...
                    X