NWS Slayer Propel 13 Heavy Salt Conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWS Slayer Propel 13 Heavy Salt Conditions

Going to Topsail for two weeks. Has anyone encountered problems with the Propel Drive during such a trip? Ill remove and rinse regularly of course. The prior discussions on bearing problems is why I ask.

Dave
    Attached Files
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

If you read other boards, you'll know that the early versions of the propel drive had some serious corrosion problems in the bearings after only a few visits in the salt. As a result, stainless steel bearings have been the standard. You might want to check with Native to make sure your drive has the upgraded bearings before potentially damaging your ride.

Feel free to pm with any questions.

Good luck.

Comment

I would not hesitate to use your Slayer Propel in full seawater -- many Propels are in regular use in Florida and Texas. I hear very little about issues with the bearings or drives. Native recommends rinsing the Propel with freshwater after each use and re-lubing every few months. If you follow those instructions, you should be fine.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, Thanks. That is reassuring. I intend to rinse the unit daily with fresh water.
        Deadwood (Dave)
        West River & Miles River

Comment

Dave,

I've occasionally had my Slayer Propel in Florida and North Carolina for the past two years. And I use it all summer in the Bay. I make sure I rinse after every use. Last hotel in Florida didn't have a hose so I took it in the shower and rinsed it. I had given the Propel a tune-up (full maintenance) this winter before I went to FL. So far so good. Mine was manufactured in March or April of 2013, so I don't know if that is considered one of the earlier versions or not.

Have fun on your trip!
          Peggy
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks Peggy. Common sense will rule and a rinse per day will be performed. Ill take her for a rinse with me under the house. No better shower in the world than one taken from a wood enclosed shower stall under the house at the beach.
            Deadwood (Dave)
            West River & Miles River

Comment

Working...
            X