Hobie upgraded rudder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie upgraded rudder question

I just picked up a new rudder blade for my Hobie outback and the front portion of the blade has a slight S shaped bend on it. Is this normal or should I take it back and get another one? my fingers pointed to where the bend is in the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's weird, but considering where the misshaped part it, it won't be in the water, it should be fine.

Edit add: That is actually the rear edge of the rudder.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I have an upgraded rudder and it is straight at the point you highlighted.

I think the key is to make sure the angle that the rudder hangs in the water is not affected when it is screwed into the steering mechanism. Otherwise you will have to compensate when you are steering.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        That's weird, but considering where the misshaped part it, it won't be in the water, it should be fine.

Edit add: That is actually the rear edge of the rudder.
        The space that I was pointing to is only the worst part. There's a small curve going almost all the way down it. For the price Hobie charges for these things I think I better just play it safe and take it back and get one that's straight. As always thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
          The space that I was pointing to is only the worst part. There's a small curve going almost all the way down it. For the price Hobie charges for these things I think I better just play it safe and take it back and get one that's straight. As always thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, you may as well get it right for the price. Mine isnt like that.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Just got back from backyard boats in Annapolis. It turns out all of his upgraded rudders have slight curves to them. And of course he told me that it would not affect the performance of the rudder but I'll test it out and if it does I'll just go through Hobie and get another one.

Comment

Working...
            X