Side Scan Finders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Scan Finders

anyone running a side scan/down imaging fish finder? i'm really toying with the idea of giving it a shot, not really for the purpose that it will help catch fish, but if it works on a kayak, might be able to see some pretty cool stuff down there
    sigpic

It works great! I'm using a Humminbird 998ci side scan with internal GPS. Don't let them tell you it won't work thru hull. I'm using a wet well using duct seal with a clear lexan lid for the transducer in front of the mast tube. The sonar signal goes right through the plastic hull.

It's used more to find structure to either side that might hold fish. The regular downward sonar shows fish as you're probably used to. One thing, because of the color display and GPS it eats battery more quickly over smaller b&w units.

Comment

I have side scan on the boat and was thinking of putting a second transducer on the yak. pics of your mount would be great. What do you use to hold the transducer in place inside the wet cell mount?

Comment

I made a 4 sided box out of duct seal and used a small sheet of plexiglass as a top. I attached the transducer to the plexiglass via zip ties (drilled a couple small holes in the plexi and sealed them with silicon). Drilled a larger hole to fill it with water and use a scupper plug to close it. Then, pushed the plexi over the duct seal.

The hull is recessed a bit near the bow on the Revo so each side of the transducer "sees" only the hull and not the duct seal on the sides. Will see about pics later. Don't have any here at work...

Comment

would love to see those pics, thanks
          sigpic

Comment

I have the 570DI Hummingbird- I use the duct seal wet well transducer setup- works fine and the mono display uses very little power- my battery last a very long time-all day at our PLO M&G and all day Father's Day on Mattawoman creek and I have yet to charge the battery-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Here are the pics and install steps. Not as elegant as some installations but just as functional...

4 paks of duct seal
              1 sheet of 8x10 plexiglass
              2 zip ties
              1 bait well plug & some string
              A bit of silicon

Step1: Drill a hole in the plexi to accommodate the bait well plug. This is to fill the chamber with water.

Step2: Drill 2 sets of 2 small holes to mount the transducer to the plexi with the zip ties. One set should be more or less in the middle and the other towards the rear. Run one zip tie thru one middle hole, thru the transducer mounting bracket and back up thru the 2nd hole. Repeat on the transducer cable towards the rear. Pull tight and trim. Holds it in place quite solidly.

Step3: Create a box "dam" with the duct seal. It's very pliable (like playdough) and you can mold it to whatever thickness and height you need. Make the top of the box as even as you can. You want the transducer to be below the water line and not "see" the duct seal. In the Revo there is a little recess under the front hatch so it works nicely.

Step4: Press the plexi "lid" with transducer attached onto the duct seal. I put a couple weights on it for a couple hours to get a good seal.

Step5: Couple beads of silicon around the zip tie holes.

Step6: Attach some string to the bait well plug and tie it off somewhere. (Don't want to be chasing it around inside your kayak!) I tied mine off to the mast tube on the Revo.

Done! I carry a small funnel to fill the chamber with water at the launch site.

Pic1: Installed under the front hatch
              Pic2: Bait well plug
              Pic3: Another view. Baitwell plug with string.
              Pic4: Seals well. Still some water in it from my last outing at the PLO M&G!
              Attached Files

Comment

sweet, thanks for the pics and write up!
                sigpic

Comment

definitely gettin a second transducer and harness and going to use my boat unit for both the yak and the boat. Thanks for the instructions and pics!

Comment

I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting a really nice unit too. It would be sweet, if for no other reason than to scope out what's below. Are the images are photo-esque as the ads make them seem? Could you see a massive stripper below the yak begging to be caught?

...or am I imagining this whole thing wrong?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

i have regular FF, but i cut about 3" length or 3" dia PVC pipe.

i made a 1" dia 'snake' of duct seal. and stuck that to the bottom of the pvc pipe all the way around a bottom perimeter. and then stuck that to the hull's bottom.

similar, if you wanted a square shape, you could find a little plastic box of the right size to use. might be able to cut the bottom out. and stick that end to the hull using the duct seal. and continue to use the container lid on top to prevent spillage.

probably not much advantage but it might make a clean-look installation.

Comment

I have a Hummingbird 570 DI in my Ocean Prowler 13- It is a lot more detailed but it doesn't have a picture quality detail. I decided I wanted a plain Jane fish finder with a GPS for the Hobie Outback- and bought the Eagle Cuda 350 SMap- I used it for the first time today- I like the GPS feature a lot- the fish finder is fairly basic but shows fish and bait like it is supposed to- The screen is smaller than the 570 but is still easy to read in bright sun-
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting a really nice unit too. It would be sweet, if for no other reason than to scope out what's below. Are the images are photo-esque as the ads make them seem? Could you see a massive stripper below the yak begging to be caught?

...or am I imagining this whole thing wrong?
                          Images are superb! For fish underneath it works the same as a regular FF but the detail is sharper. What it's really good for is to see structure "over there" that might hold fish. By default the thing can see the bottom left and right 148' in each direction!

And as Ron mentioned, the GPS is a real nice feature. I haven't practiced with the unit enough to have learned all of its functionality. It has the ability to download your GPS and FF images to a PC for logging your trip and/or later study.

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                          i have regular FF, but i cut about 3" length or 3" dia PVC pipe.

i made a 1" dia 'snake' of duct seal. and stuck that to the bottom of the pvc pipe all the way around a bottom perimeter. and then stuck that to the hull's bottom.

similar, if you wanted a square shape, you could find a little plastic box of the right size to use. might be able to cut the bottom out. and stick that end to the hull using the duct seal. and continue to use the container lid on top to prevent spillage.

probably not much advantage but it might make a clean-look installation.
                          This is what I love about the kayak fishing community... ideas abound and guys are willing to share! I like the plastic box idea and so may revamp over the winter. I put that duct seal box together very quickly one afternoon with a fishing trip planned the next morning. It's been working great but I like the idea to be able to open the box. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X