Go Pro Extended Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Pro Extended Battery

So I noticed in the last Meet and Greet thread people where discussing Go Pro battery life. I found this through the TKAA forum and did the same set up, I haven't had the opportunity to test it on the water but it works in my shop, and it was fairy inexpensive. Click the link and scroll to the bottom. He provides links to everything he used. http://www.angling-addict.com
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

I have the gopro 4 and some of the extended batteries on the market (like the one that is mentioned in that link) only work with previous versions of the gopro. I ended up getting this one for $40 shipped off Amazon: http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/ba...ABPAK-401.html

Have not really had much chance to try it out yet, but this seemed to be the best extended battery option available at my time of purchase for the newer version of the gopro. They also make a dual battery option that people were saying was not very good. I am sure there will be more options available shortly for the gopro 4 (like the Brunton), if not already on the market.

Comment

Nice Find!!!
      That Kapaxen 30-Pin-to-USB Power Supply Cable With Waterproof Backdoor is exactly what I've been looking for.

I made one for my Hero 2, but it took forever to cut the hole in the housing without cracking it. $23.50 is a GREAT PRICE!
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
        I have the gopro 4 and some of the extended batteries on the market (like the one that is mentioned in that link) only work with previous versions of the gopro. I ended up getting this one for $40 shipped off Amazon: http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/ba...ABPAK-401.html

Have not really had much chance to try it out yet, but this seemed to be the best extended battery option available at my time of purchase for the newer version of the gopro. They also make a dual battery option that people were saying was not very good. I am sure there will be more options available shortly for the gopro 4 (like the Brunton), if not already on the market.
        I also have the go pro 4, I like the 30pin connector with the external battery because you can just buy what ever size battery you want and turn the camera on and put it on the loop setting and just film all day. Your right though the extended direct fit batteries are not available yet.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

That's to much like work... YakCapn suggested I try on of these I did.
          I picked up 2 batteries and a charger base. I recorded for 5 1/2 hours straight at 1080p this Saturday and still had battery left. These fit into the go pro housing with the backpack back doors. I have a 3 silver and a 3+ black

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-E...+gopro+battery

Comment

Looks like that one plastic boat just linked and the one I suggested are almost the same thing. When I first looked for one to fit the hero 4, they said that the earlier version would not fit the hero 4. I believe the one I listed is just a newer version that has about 15 percent more battery life and will fit the hero 4 as well as previous models (comes with the waterproof extended backdoor so it is just plug and play). It is more expensive currently but was the only option I could find for the newer gopro (except for the one that piggybacks two battery packs). I never even came across that brunton unit when I was looking. Seems like it might be nice find for some, but I will stick with what I got for now and see how it does.

Comment

I use a dummy battery and then connect it to a usb battery pack. Whole setup cost me cost me $30 and can record over 8hrs on 1080.

dummybattery.jpg
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Now that is pretty sweet. How big of a battery pack do you run?

That particular dummy battery is not compatible with the hero 4, but I found Kapaxen 30-Pin-to-USB Power Supply Cable With Waterproof Backdoor for $23.50. I also got a KMASHI 10000mAh MP816 for 10 bucks shipped yesterday. I think I might have to go ahead and try one of these setups. 10k mah battery pack should run my gopro for a very long time on the best hd settings, and might even be overkill. Just need to come up with a system for storing the battery pack to keep it dry as well. Should be able to finally get some fish catching footage with my gopro now.

Comment

battery pack is 10600mAh. It lasts me a few trips and still has juice to charge my phone.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I like the Kapaxen because it keeps the GoPro waterproof since I don't have to use the skeleton door with it.
                    Mine should be here tomorrow. Finally I'll get to take advantage of the loop mode.

Comment

I just looked again and it seems I never got past the description of the brunton all day on the original link posted. I see now what a great write up he did including what he came up with for waterproof storage of the external battery pack. Guess if you secure your battery somewhere on the kayak, the cord will also act as a tether for the gorpo if you ever turtle. Wish I knew about this before I bought the gopro extended battery. Definitely looks like a game changer. I guess I should be able to easily run highest quality settings all day. Only problem now is running out storage. But I just checked and prices are finally coming down on 128gb micro sd cards lately as well. I have a couple 64gb cards that were actually pretty expensive back when I got them.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                        Only problem now is running out storage. But I just checked and prices are finally coming down on 128gb micro sd cards lately as well. I have a couple 64gb cards that were actually pretty expensive back when I got them.
                        So you just enable the loop mode and using the remote only save clips with action in them.

Comment

Nice. I just watched a video about it. Cool feature I did not know about. Still have a lot to learn about this thing. 64 gb should be fine if I figure this out. Don't need to be buying more stuff I don't need.

Comment

From the reviews I read, looks like people are having issues getting it to work with the hero 4 only. Not sure about getting it now. One review said it did work on their hero 4. I guess I could order one and return it if I can't get it to work.

Comment

I was just checking the reviews on Amazon (after the fact since I already ordered one) and I get the impression that it works on the 4 Black but not the 4 Silver.... that's a little odd...

I have the 3+ Black. So I think I'm OK. Its supposed to arrive this afternoon. I'll post my results.

Comment

Working...
                              X