Didn't see that one coming!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You are soooooo lucky. He could have killed you!
    Glad you and the yak are OK. I agree with others. He should have done more for ya there.
    That's another good reason to have a camera with you. You might capture the accident... but at the very least you can snap a shot of the numbers or name... that is of course if your camera hasn't gone down to Davy Jones Locker.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Wow glad you're alive!!! Since I'm deaf, I always keep my head on a swivel. I'm often worried someone was trying to talk to me or a boat was coming and I didn't hear them. Don't want them to think I'm ignoring them. I also have a power fishing boat and often noticed kayaks are sometime difficult to see. They have such a low profile. When there are waves out there, your kayak will be "buried" half the time.

Thanks for sharing. It reminds all of us to be more careful and watchful.
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

This type of accident should always be reported to DNR. THis guy , having a commercial lic. Should have insurance and is completely responsible.
        Same or worse as having an so called minor auto accident.
        Next time you may not so lucky.
        Glad it all turned out ok.
        <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
        Capt. Frank Tuma
        www.DownTimeCharters.com
        Native Slayer Propel

Comment

Thankful you are alright! some folks on the water just don't belong there for obvious reasons but this guy is responsible for your losses. Did you have a fish finder on board? If so you need to check it out real good to make sure it works. I have had close calls even when I was in a 21ft Bayliner with idiots on the water on the holidays, so a kayak is a smaller target. When something like this happens always report it to DNR.

Comment

You certainly have a good attitude about it. I would have been livid to say the least. I agree that you should have reported him. You had the right of way...actually I am pretty sure we always have the right away and boaters are required to avoid us, but don't expect them to do it. It is tough to say whether they would have even done anything if you did report him. I remember some kayakers got hit by that stupid tourist pirate ship down in Rudee inlet a while back. Was just trying to research if the operator got charged or not, but did not come up with anything...does not look like anything ever came of it. One of the kayakers that was hit was knocked unconscious and nearly drowned. He was saved by other boaters who watched the whole thing go down. They were continuing to operate that stupid thing last time I was there. It is enormous yet extremely quiet.

Stay safe.

Comment

In most situations, I'm usually don't have a problem being confrontational, but this time, I think I was so shocked and stunned I just didn't react that way. Maybe I was thinking he might turn around and finish the job
              Originally posted by JohnE View Post
              You certainly have a good attitude about it. I would have been livid to say the least. I agree that you should have reported him. You had the right of way...actually I am pretty sure we always have the right away and boaters are required to avoid us, but don't expect them to do it. It is tough to say whether they would have even done anything if you did report him. I remember some kayakers got hit by that stupid tourist pirate ship down in Rudee inlet a while back. Was just trying to research if the operator got charged or not, but did not come up with anything...does not look like anything ever came of it. One of the kayakers that was hit was knocked unconscious and nearly drowned. He was saved by other boaters who watched the whole thing go down. They were continuing to operate that stupid thing last time I was there. It is enormous yet extremely quiet.

Stay safe.
              ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

I think more than anything this should remind us all that we are vulnerable out there and we do so by choice. It's no secret that kayakers are hard to see on the water, it's much like riding a motorcycle on the road. Being a kayak fisherman comes with specific risks just the same as riding a bike, it's something we all have to accept and take extra precaution against.

Glad everything, for the most part, turned out ok. Count your blessings!
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Glad you are OK!!!! That guy got away all most with murder!! Yaks are hard to see but they but need to be looking. Im aways paranoid so I listen for boats and rogue waves and turn into them to see what's coming at me.

Comment

when this post first began, I started shopping for a boat/motorcycle horn.....140ish decibel, 12v. The air horn in a can just is something else to forget at home or forget to get out of the stowaway storage so it's only as useful as our ability to have it handy. I already have the mounting bracket and placement and wiring planned out and when the horn button is in the same location all of the time, muscle memory is all you need to potentially save your own ass if someone isn't seeing you. If 140dB doesn't get their attention, Lord have mercy, God speed and good luck....

$40 and a switch is a ton cheaper than your life, a new yak or missing gear...plus its as compact as a can of air

http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilu...ne+horn+stebel

Might need to grab a plug and play kit too...the relay, fuse and wiring is pretty important.
                    Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
                    2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
                    2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
                    2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Interesting, like to see how that install works out
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I always have an airhorn attached to my pfd.

photo_2015-08-05_11-53-29.jpg

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                          I always have an airhorn attached to my pfd.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16646[/ATTACH]
                          I like that idea. I may need to do the same. I am finding myself in boat traffic more often than I should...
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                          X