Life Preserver Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Preserver Check

I use an inflatable life preserver with the CO2 cartridge for comfort. What I don't do regularly is pull back the flap to see if it is "green" and functioning. I took a peek today and saw it was not in working order (looks like the CO2 has leaked out enough that it doesn't have pressure to inflate). No idea how long it was like that and me thinking I was being safe, but really wasn't. If you have one and you haven't looked in a while you might want to.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

That's why I still don't have one. I feel much safer with my NRS chinook life jacket. I even wear it on my fishing boat.
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

can you manually inflate those, similar to airplane life vests shown during the flight demo?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
        can you manually inflate those, similar to airplane life vests shown during the flight demo?
        ......... or the co pilot in the movie Airplane ........

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
          Yes, just like a flight attendant demos in the unlikely event of a water landing. I'm not going to touch the Airplane reference.
          Mike

Comment

I picked up an NRA C-vest this spring and man it is super comfortable and has lots of pockets. Don't think I am going to be blowing up an inflatable in the water after turtling.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I used to have both types on my power boat and once the CO2 type was inflated the replacement was almost as expensive as a new one. The prices have come down but I no longer use them. If you go over board the last thing you want to be thinking about is having to manually inflate that thing. When I got mine for use with the Kayak I followed the advice on here to try it on to see how it feels. So me being me I put it on in the store and sat on a milk crate on the floor and tried to simulate paddling. Yea I got some strange looks but I did rule out a couple of vest that were not pleasant to paddle with. You gotta wear whats comfortable for you. Look for one that has some pockets in front gear the you want within reach at all times. Mine has my hand held VHS radio, emergency knife, Whistle. Also look for some "D" rings on it that come in handy. Thats what I look for and it has served me well! these guys on here are a wealth of outstanding knowledge so if you have a question this is the place to ask it.

Comment

The replacement CO2 cartridges range from $20 - $30, mine was $20. Every person has there own needs with regards to a PFD. Mine is absolute minimum interference which makes the inflatables something I will wear. The best PFD in the world does no good if you aren't wearing it.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X