Keel Protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keel Protector

everytime i put the kayak in the truck bed, the keel rubs on the pavement as i lift the front to slide on to the tailgate. well, i noticed it's actually wearing away pretty good. i could just lay down the red tshirt i use for the hauling flag or even a small piece of plywood, but of course i want to make it more complicated by making something. i was thinking of a piece of nylon, or say cutting board attached to a belt/strap and quick connect buckle.

thoughts or ideas?
    sigpic

I just use an old blanket folded several times.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Before you go too crazy, you might want to try a couple layers of this:

http://www.amazon.com/PriceCutter-Sl...1415649&sr=8-3

I put some on my Revo before I hit the water. So far, it has held up pretty well, but one layer probably won't be enough for what you need. I only put one layer on mine early this winter, and some areas have torn just from incidental contact between the stern and the ramp when I get in. Three layers would probably last a while, though. The red shirt is probably the cheapest and easiest, though. Hopefully, more companies will follow OK's lead and make replaceable keels.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i put 3 layers on the stren keel, it didnt last long i think maybe this winter i'll take it to a plastics shop by backyard boats and have an extra layer welded on

Comment

i did the tshirt deal today..it's not confirmed, but i'm not seeing too much protection. should have taken a picture
          sigpic

Comment

When I had a Suburban, I had old bag/mat that I (meaning my wife) made by sewing together the legs of old, worn out jeans. I would either put that over the tip of the bow or under it depending on where I was loading (I loaded my Outback stern first onto the roof). That worked pretty well, but most of the places I launched were gravel instead of paved.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

an old strip of carpet might work if i can find some about a foot wide and 4' long

Comment

Working...
              X