Nets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nets

Based off of Pinch's latest experience, how many of you bring a net with you?

only net i have ever brought was a metal crab net to scoop crabs off of structures.

i only carry a boga grip, but now i'm considering a net bc my main target this year are flounder and spanish mackerels...which dont exactly hook perfectly

if you do have a net, what size and where do you store it, rod holder? does it get in the ways while casting?
    sigpic

I have a collapsible rapala net that I got for cheap at Target last summer. It's one stop short of terrible on the rating scale, but it does hold fish! I think flounder would be about the only thing I would net with it though. A larger fish would tear it up. If I'm drifting I just put it out on the deck or in a rod holder, not really in the way since I'm not casting or moving rods around. Walmart carries an attwood one that seems very similar. I think the regular green net ones might work but that's a big commitment to give up that much space on a kayak, even if you do cut the handle down. I like that this one folds up and I can put it my rod pod or under my thigh.

Used to fish more.

Comment

ive thought about buying one of the folding nets but i dont see my self using one on the yak. i have the boga grip for the big girls
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I have a net along with a lip gripper ......... prefer the net .......... keeps the hooks away, calms the fish, gives greater control, can release without bringing in the yak and you lose less fish than with a gripper ......... mine has a retractable handle, stays in a rod holder ........ not sure of the size .......

Comment

Yeah... Net is strictly for flounder or specs if we had them here (made an exception for the croaker in the picture because I had another one on and wanted to make sure it didn't flop out). I have a boga but I end up using the floating fish gripper more often. They are too expensive to bring on the kayak, but are way better since they swivel when the fish thrashes. I think if we had more blues around or other fish with teeth I'd bring it more. Rock are easy enough to just thumb.

(because all threads are better with pictures)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Redfish12; 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

I have a 36" collapsable net that I got with the intention of using for weakfish, crabbing, and flounder. Since most of my fishing is in mid bay though where it seems flounder/weakfish aren't coming due to lower salinity, I barely have to use it.
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

i brought a net out once, netted a flounder but it was just in the way, i like to grab them while still in the water when on the yak on my boats it was always nets though. keep them in the water free spool the reel grab the leader and grab it behind the gills since i use bait or jigheads only have to worry about 1 hook, then stick the gripper in. blues get the gripper right away

Comment

Working...
              X