SPSP kayak launch 6/26?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPSP kayak launch 6/26?

I'll be launching tomorrow morning for anyone who wants to join. Plan is to catch some spot and then live line them on the pilings...

Good luck- looks like good weather for fishing- catching the bait is always a challenge
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Good luck- looks like good weather for fishing- catching the bait is always a challenge
      Thanks... I am mostly going out to not think about the work week ahead of me...

Comment

I wished I could concentrate only on next week's work- my schedule is filling up through November 3rd with events and meetings- and I do, like you, get stress relief by fishing in calm waters-

Comment

anyone having any success live lining out there? many croakers being caught or some blues?

Comment

Originally posted by Japanesezero View Post
            anyone having any success live lining out there? many croakers being caught or some blues?
            I've had zero luck out of SPSP so far, but only using cut bait and lures. I also don't know these waters as well as some of the folks here though and have a higher failure rate.
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
              I've had zero luck out of SPSP so far, but only using cut bait and lures. I also don't know these waters as well as some of the folks here though and have a higher failure rate.
              tons of white perch from 5" to 13". Kept a few of the smaller ones and tried to live line them with no success. not a single spot. All WP were caught on a small circle hook and night crawlers. No real tide to speak of which im sure didnt help but it was great being on the water. First salt trip for the trident... Handled well, even when the idiot power boaters wanted to see the inside of my boat as the blew by me at mach 8...

Comment

Sorry to hear about the power boaters Zero- I have had similar experiences down south at Cobb Island this year in my OK Prowler 13- it handled the wake well- even though i was nearly knocked out of my seat once with water hitting me in the chest.

I am intrigued by the snakeheads in the middle Potomac tributaries and plan to try for them again after work one day this week- I think my MRC Synergy is just the ticket for the shallow, weed choked lilly pad areas they hang out- I hope to have my Northern Tool order come in so I can make the loader like Tufnik's so I can load my Kayaks easier- I installed a Yakima roof rack on my Focus yesterday so I am wanting to see how everything works- why don't you come along and see the Mattawoman Creek area with me- I have only fished it once but Tufnik and I caught some nice fish, so I think we hit the right areas-

Comment

I dont have week days off right now. Going through Fairfax County's Fire and Rescue Academy. Tomorrow starts a week of tests that make or break your job in the fire service. In September I'll have plenty of days off to fish. Until then I'm stuck to 3-4 hour weekend trips and not too many of those either. July 16-17 I have some free time and will be getting out for an extended fishing trip if anyone would like to join. I'm thinking anywhere from Long Beach Island NJ to VA Beach depending on weather. Probably sleep in my truck and have room for 3-4 boats and people.

Comment

On Saturday, I got 4 rock over 20'' and two shorts on chartreuse and chartreuse glitter fleck bkd's juiced with garlic dye at the eastern shore pilings. caught the shorts poaching fish off the guys soaking bloodworms and another boat chumming and caught almost all the keepers off the 40# and 41# south side pilings. water depth between those pilings was in the 22foot range but the south side of the 40 piling has a ledge about 10-15 feet down that bait was holding above, seemed the rockfish were holding below them off the ledge. We didnt have much current either but the weather was gorgeous out there yesterday. lots of guys livelining the spider pilings and one guy LL the eastern shore rockpile. Saw a bunch of perch get caught and a fair number of nice rockfish. It was good to see fish at the bridge again, salinity level must be getting back to normal for this time of year.
                    Attached Files
                    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Why live-line? If you want croaker, I'd use squid, shrimp or bws. If you want blues, heck they eat anything. I'd use cut up spot, even though live-line would work. I've found blues everywhere, even along the beaches. If you want striper, I'd use bws or cut up spot. Cut up spot is also good for red drum or sea trout. Of course lures would work too (e.g., jigging)

Right now, there are a lot croakers around, and they give you a great fight for their size. Good eating too. Blues are around, but I don't see a lot. You'll start seeing a bunch within a month or two.

Yeah, there are a lot of boats there. That's why I keep a constant eye on them, especially the speedsters. For safety sake, hope you have a bright kayak and PFD as well as an orange/red flag.
                      Last edited by tufnik; 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Good seeing you out there man. Sorry I couldn't stay any longer I had to head back but had I seen you post yesterday I would've let you know I was going to be there this morning. Sorry you didn't have much luck. Let me know more about that long range trip. Also, shoot me a line or give me a call next time you're gonna head out.
                        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

sorry zero didnt wanna hijack your thread just felt like this might be a good addition to your report from the bridge.
                          Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
                            On Saturday, I got 4 rock over 20'' and two shorts on chartreuse and chartreuse glitter fleck bkd's juiced with garlic dye at the eastern shore pilings. caught the shorts poaching fish off the guys soaking bloodworms and another boat chumming and caught almost all the keepers off the 40# and 41# south side pilings. water depth between those pilings was in the 22foot range but the south side of the 40 piling has a ledge about 10-15 feet down that bait was holding above, seemed the rockfish were holding below them off the ledge. We didnt have much current either but the weather was gorgeous out there yesterday. lots of guys livelining the spider pilings and one guy LL the eastern shore rockpile. Saw a bunch of perch get caught and a fair number of nice rockfish. It was good to see fish at the bridge again, salinity level must be getting back to normal for this time of year.
                            Man wish I had know that earlier today

Comment

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
                              came back over the bridge around 1130 and saw a couple yaks out by #40 beeped as i went by, glad you caught some fish and didnt break any thing

Comment

Working...
                              X