Numbers on Kayak in MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikelreidd View Post
    Different twist on the question, but I was stopped by DNR a few months ago and the officer strongy suggested regestration for theft reasons. He said that Yakers tend to have their vessels "unprotected" in back yards and truck beds, just begging for theft. And that registration puts the vessel in the system for possible recovery. Not sure that I agree with that logic, but I have not seen any data on yak thefts either. Also, I have not found a yaker that has had his vessel stolen.
    There has been at least one yakker on this board that had their boat stolen.

DNR is right. Registering your yak puts your vessel's serial number in their database. In fact there's another thread about putting your name and number on your unregistered yak in case its stolen or you get separated from it.

...the other thread...
    Suggestions for kayakers from USCG
    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...kers-from-USCG
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

well i registered mine cause i got the torqeedo (electric trolling motor) for those that didn't know. but i will say, it was literally only 2 dollars far two years. so even if there is a chance that it will help in recovery if stolen then id spend 2 bucks. just my 2 cents. it cost me more in the dang stickers. haha
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that $2 was the Title Fee. Your registration is free... at least mine is free.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Bought my yak in Delaware, no tax, so when I registered I had to get a receipt made up then pay the tax on it to registered. Still only cost $27 $25 for tax $2 for title. Like Fishinggod said, you pay more for the vinyl letters.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
            Out of curiosity, why do folks put motors on their kayaks? The reason I bought a yak is so that I wouldn't have to spend money on registration, but I see a fair number of people who do it. Do you find that the motor is worth the extra cost/hassle?
            Once you title your canoe or kayak and settle any taxes due (if any) then registration is free but regidtration must be renewed every 2 years. It's still free and very easy to renew every 2 years

==========================
            Cut&paste from MD-DNR Boating:

$2 TITLE FEE

$24 REGISTRATION FEE

Vessels 16 feet in length or less and/or propelled by a motor of 7.5 hp or less must display a 2-year registration decal but are exempt from the fee.
            ==========================
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Virginia.JPG

Good ol' Virginia....
              I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              Garmin Echomap 93sv
              RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Working...
              X