How far do you drive to reach the Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
    My last trip on the Rhode River (last Thurs afternoon) was pretty much ruined by jet skiers.
    Slightly off topic, but how is the fishing on the Rhode? I live pretty close to Carr's Wharf but haven't ever really caught much there other than small WP. I love the area as it has a ton of natural shoreline, but some fish would be nice too.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

M
      Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
      Slightly off topic, but how is the fishing on the Rhode? I live pretty close to Carr's Wharf but haven't ever really caught much there other than small WP. I love the area as it has a ton of natural shoreline, but some fish would be nice too.
      Total skunk last Thursday, not even a bump, and also in another pm day trip in early June. I did have some luck there upriver last October when the buinker came in with the stripers chasing. I think it'll likely be dead until the same pattern starts in another 4-6'weeks.

Triton out to Thomas Pt Light may be better but I have a sit inside yak that's not good for big water. I hear the crabbing is good there at the County Wharf though. Folks are catching crabs right off the wharf.
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-19-2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        M

Total skunk last Thursday and also in another pm day trip in June. I did have some luck there upriver last October when the bunker came in with the stripers chasing. I think it'll likely be dead until the same pattern starts in another 4-6'weeks.

Triton out to Thomas Pt Light may be better but I have a sit inside yak that's not good for big water. I hear the crabbing is good there bat the County Wharf though. Folks are catching right off the wharf.
        Yea, I have a yak that is a little too light for me so I am very wary about moving out of sheltered rivers. I do usually have weekdays free if you ever want to hit the Rhode. With all that downed wood there has to be something living there. I am getting a bit better in my perch fishing so maybe it is time to give it another try.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

The Rhode is fairly shallow and muddy in spots especially upriver.

On the plus side, it's right off the Bay and a bit saltier than the Severn
          and Magothy. There are some edges, rocks and jetty areas once you get familiar with it and you are right, there are about 3,000 acres of undeveloped and protected buffer on the south side and upriver.
          Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-20-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I live in the Harrisonburg Va area. Favorite haunts are Mobjac bay tributaries (Va) at 195 miles +/- or Wye River (Md) at 205 miles. Day trips make for VERY long days. I often try to make it a two day trip if possible. Would be great to live close enough to Saltwater to hit the best weather & tides. Hope to fish with you guys sometime as I sure enjoy reading your posts and 90% of my fishing is alone.

Comment

The bay is a very short walk away for me.
              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
              2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

i live on kent island and have a boat ramp within walking distance from the house but im addicted to bass fishing so I usually drive an hour to the upper bay or the potomac . I do play around with the stripers from time to time but i love them little green fish .
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixkeith View Post
                  i live on kent island and have a boat ramp within walking distance from the house but im addicted to bass fishing so I usually drive an hour to the upper bay or the potomac . I do play around with the stripers from time to time but i love them little green fish .
                  LOL
                  We should just trade houses. I'm 8 minutes from the Potomac LMBs with choices of free ramps, but I prefer to drive an hour or so to get to the Bay.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixkeith View Post
                    I'm 15 minutes away from LMB and SH but 1 hour to the bay. I want some good eating salt water fish. So, who want SH? Let's trade.
                    Last edited by Snakehead Hunter; 08-23-2015, 04:14 PM.

Comment

1 hr 15 min driving to the bay in NJ. I usually go every weekend.
                      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

If you are going to fish the Rhode as I do stay out of the main river and stick to the side creeks. You an fond some decent perch there at times. The "Jet Ski" folks can be a serious pain to deal with.

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
                        X