Eastern bay Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern bay Saturday

There is a small craft advisory tomorrow with 1-2 ft waves. Is that too choppy for my hobie revo 13?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayaks are considered "small craft". Looks like winds are going to be out of the north at 16 mph, gusting to 22 mph in the morning. If that happens, I wouldn't want to be on the main stem of the bay. Waves will be rolling straight down the bay, probably be pretty bumpy.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Kayaks are considered "small craft". Looks like winds are going to be out of the north at 16 mph, gusting to 22 mph in the morning. If that happens, I wouldn't want to be on the main stem of the bay. Waves will be rolling straight down the bay, probably be pretty bumpy.
      100% agree. Wind is the only thing that keeps me off the water. It's not only dangerous, but it gives little chance of catching a fish. You'll spend too much time on the treadmill to have energy for much else.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        100% agree. Wind is the only thing that keeps me off the water. It's not only dangerous, but it gives little chance of catching a fish. You'll spend too much time on the treadmill to have energy for much else.
        Yeah, if the wind is blowing from a direction that it has more than a mile or two to build waves from where you will be on the water, it can get kind of rough. In that case, it's best to have no more than single digit winds with gusts less than 15mph. Even then, it can be bumpy. When the wind has many miles to build the waves it can be rough with just high single digit winds. Last weekend when we were coming back from the eastern shore, the wind was blowing out of the north, not all that strong, but the smaller powerboats by the Bay Bridge were bouncing around quite a bit just hanging on anchor.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I will stay in the comforts of Dividing Creek and live to fish another day!! So I bought a PennFierce 3000 and the guy at the tackle shop said that 10 lb was the highest I can put on it. Will that be OK to try and land rockfish in the bay...again pardon my ignorance, I just don't know. I have owned my Revo 13 for 7 days now and I have been on the water 5 of them....simply incredible. The only thing more hooked than me are the fish I catch!!

Comment

Most new reels now a days have a mono/braid rating. most of the time you can double the strength of your line by using braid. 10lb mono = 20 lb braid.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I use either 10lb supercast or 20lb braid on size 2000 reels with 20lb fluoro leader. You could use something similar and be fine. 10lb mono is going to have allot of stretch, which is OK for trolling but you may want something stiffer for casting/jigging.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lagana View Post
                Thanks guys. I think I will stay in the comforts of Dividing Creek and live to fish another day!! So I bought a PennFierce 3000 and the guy at the tackle shop said that 10 lb was the highest I can put on it. Will that be OK to try and land rockfish in the bay...again pardon my ignorance, I just don't know. I have owned my Revo 13 for 7 days now and I have been on the water 5 of them....simply incredible. The only thing more hooked than me are the fish I catch!!
                Guy at the tackle shop gave you poor information. Reels are given line ratings for what the manufacturer thinks is ideal, read: best advertising to make their product appealing. You can spool that reel with 7x (2.2lbs) mono or 100lbs braid, completely up to you. I have my Fierce 3000 loaded with 20# FireLine (smoke). I do not use a mono or floro leader, tie the black braid direct to the lure.

Edit Add: FWIW, a guy at a tackle shop yesterday told me the Fierce reels weren't "braid ready" because they don't have the rubber band thing on the spool...Hogwash, you just need to know how to get the line tied on when you first attach it to the spool, so it doesn't spin when you start loading it.
                Last edited by Cowpokey; 08-22-2015, 09:00 AM.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Some say the braid can spin on the spool on non-braid ready reels. Best thing to do if you want to be sure it won't ever slip is to start with a little mono backing, then double uni knot to attach your braid and spool away. Some people will also use electrical tape and stuff, but I think the quick shot of mono is your best bet. I don't think I really even have any reels that are braid ready. My primary baitcasters do have some holes in the spools to tie off on though.

Comment

What JohnE said. Additionally, if you buy powerpro, it comes with little foam stickers to put on the spool to make it grip.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I used to use a few wraps of mono as backing and then fill the spool with Powerpro. I found that occasionally the double uni knot I had used to connect the backing and main line caught my line and caused my casts to fall short. For the past few years, I stopped using the mono backing. I take a strip of masking tape narrower than the spool height and long enough to wrap 1.5 to 2 times around the spool. I tie the braid on top of the masking tape. With a little care on the first few wraps to make sure the line is tight enough to dig into the tape, I fill the entire spool with braid (plus whatever leader I choose).

When braid first came out, it was much more expensive than mono (it is still more costly). To save money, many angler used the less expensive mono for backing for large portions of the spool. I don't have a large number of reels and rarely need to respool these days, so I am quite willing to fill the entire spool with braid.

I am not suggesting that my way is necessarily better, but it is an alternate way that works well for me.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        When braid first came out, it was much more expensive than mono (it is still more costly). To save money, many angler used the less expensive mono for backing for large portions of the spool. I don't have a large number of reels and rarely need to respool these days, so I am quite willing to fill the entire spool with braid.
                        I think John just nailed it. People are still in the mindset that you have to put mono backing on a spool, because braid slips initially; and those same folks were too cheap to buy enough braid to completely fill the spool, so they would put cheap mono under the braid.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X