Fishing report weems creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing report weems creek

Went out this morning fishing the Severn river bridge no luck not even a nibble made my way back to weems creek and got a couple perch off of a spinner with a small piece of fish bites bloodworm. Any body got any other tips or lures for next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a small (1/8-oz or 1/16-oz) safety pin style spinnerbait, like those made by Bignose or Woody. Another commercial alternative is the Strike King 1/16-oz Microking spinner (usually available at Dicks) or even a basic beetle spin rig, with a twister tail substituted for the grub that comes with it. Other small lures (e.g., jighead and twister tail, Mepps style spinner, etc) should catch perch too. The baitfish in the Weems shallows during the last week were 1.5 to 2" long and about as big around as a pipe cleaner. Lures much larger than that may not get bitten.

Cast to shorelines in the shade. If you don't get bites after a few casts, move on to the next section of shoreline. Try not to paddle/pedal though the areas where you think the fish are. Stay one cast length away. Reposition your kayak as needed.

Yesterday morning I fished for about two hours in Weems and caught 40 perch and a pickerel -- all with the same Bignose spinner. However, these bites did not occur uniformly along the Weems Creek shoreline. It was necessary to find the relatively few spots that had the right combination of depth, shade, and cover. After fishing in Weems for the past 14 years, I have some ideas of where to look and where to avoid. Yesterday the water was very murky the farther upstream I went. I got no bites when I was more than a few hundred yards upstream of the Rowe Blvd bridge (the taller one).

It has been very difficult to target stripers in the Severn since the three-week run of larger fish in May. I catch one occasionally, but have not had any success trolling for them in traditional areas. Having said that, I caught a 19" striper in a shaded area in Weems on Thurs. I had just caught several perch from a small area and threw a small spinnerbait (a Microking on that day) again to the same spot. This time, the line ripped out against the drag. I was pulled around for 2 minutes while fighting that fish on an ultralight rod.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John summed it up nicely (as he always does). Weems is full of perch if you look in the right places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X