Leaks and cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaks and cracks

I haven't had any issues with leaks or cracks on my Kayak, but I have seen others who have- how do you fix cracks in the hulls? roto-moulded plastic is supposed to be tough and nearly indestructible but it seems the complex shapes of the roto-moulding has stress points that do crack, so the question is what repair skills do you need and what materials are used?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I'm on my third year with my OK Prowler Trident. It was fine before, but last month or so it started leaking. Got about 2-4 cups after every outing. Assuming everywhere else does not leak, the likely spots are the scupper holes. I sanded the seams and made sure the area was clean and dry.

I heard you can use Lexel, Goop, 3M marine fast cure 5200 (from Home Depot) and some others. I used Goop. Used my finger (with latex glove) to work in and smear the Goop in the seams of all six scuppers. My yak is now bone dry.

There are also hull crack kits you can use, but my yak does not have any cracks. I store it in the garage and condition it with Armor All.

BTW, Ocean Kayak's site says it's "normal" to have 2-3 cups of water leakage.
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-26-2011, 08:11 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

If you develop a crack on an OK model, you can email them, and they will send you a free kit to repair it. I didnt even have to pay for shipping. I got it to fill in some deep scars on my used prowler 13. It is just a small square of plastic, and a long string of plastic that you melt to fill in cracks.
      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Working...
      X