What reel should I destroy next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What reel should I destroy next?

Minimalist cheapskate here. My general rule with any hobby is that I don't replace gear unless it's truly limiting me or it breaks. The spinning reel on my main rod broke tonight. I'm not heartbroken. It was a POS from some generic Shakespeare Ugly Stik combo. Good riddance.

But what should I replace it with? I'm keeping the 7' medium-heavy Ugly Stik for the moment (it's not limiting me, and it's not broken). I'll probably load it with 18/20# mono and treat it terribly (saltwater dunking likely, care and upkeep less so).

My usual MO this summer is to target whatever's available and interesting (flounder, usually) until I get bored and stick on a double dropper rig and catch a mess of croaker.
    Pescador 12

Okuma?
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

My cheapskate Okumas have been holding up to the salt for years and I sure don't baby them.

Comment

I also own a bunch of cheap reels.

Out of the Shakespeare, Zebco, Okuma and Abu Garcia reels, I think the Abu Garcia is my favorite. Okuma is a close second.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Define "cheapskate" budget.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Shimano Stella 3000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
            2014 Hobie Outback
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
            2nd PLACE
            Slam Division

Comment

Cowpokey: Inclined to keep it below $100; I'm clumsy. It'll probably swim at some point, and I don't want to be heartbroken.
              Pescador 12

Comment

Okuma Avenger ABF 65 on the way. Probably more than I need, but what the heck. Thanks for the tips everybody.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                Pescador 12

Comment

Shimano Stella is best reel you can get. Size 3000

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
                  2014 Hobie Outback
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                  2nd PLACE
                  Slam Division

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyvengeance View Post
                    Okuma Avenger ABF 65 on the way. Probably more than I need, but what the heck. Thanks for the tips everybody.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                    65 is pretty big. I fish with 30 or 40 in the bay.

Comment

Cowpokey: Inclined to keep it below $100; I'm clumsy. It'll probably swim at some point, and I don't want to be heartbroken.
                      I bought a Penn Battle II, size 3000 with free delivery for $82 off ebay. It was a company in Florida IIRC (Big Fish Sports), had it to me in 3 or 4 days from the time I hit submit.

If you are looking to spend less, the Penn Fierce is a very good reel for the money. I've had it on my kayak every trip for a year, just hose it off when I get home and it's still silky smooth.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Ive had a good 3 seasons with my okuma stratus 4. Its held up well. I liked it so much I got the new stratus 5. Usually on sale at dicks sporting good. Makes a great "beater" reel. They have been great to me.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...uctId=57806906

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                        Tan-Tarpon 140
                        Lime-Pelican Matrix
                        Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Minimalist cheapskate here. My general rule with any hobby is that I don't replace gear unless it's truly limiting me or it breaks. The spinning reel on my main rod broke tonight. I'm not heartbroken. It was a POS from some generic Shakespeare Ugly Stik combo. Good riddance.

But what should I replace it with? I'm keeping the 7' medium-heavy Ugly Stik for the moment (it's not limiting me, and it's not broken). I'll probably load it with 18/20# mono and treat it terribly (saltwater dunking likely, care and upkeep less so).

My usual MO this summer is to target whatever's available and interesting (flounder, usually) until I get bored and stick on a double dropper rig and catch a mess of croaker.
                          Proud cheapskate here as well. Go to the outdoor/fishing dept at Wal-Mart. The closest to me is Laurel at 198 and B/W Prkwy. I was there last week. They had a Shimano 2500 for $39.95. They have Shakespeare combos for the same price or lower if you look for sales.

I carry a gallon of water with me and rinse the reels, hooks and guides as soon as I am off the water. Water is a lot cheaper than getting only one year out of a decent quality reel.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                            65 is pretty big. I fish with 30 or 40 in the bay.
                            Yeah, it's probably overkill. I've always used mono, and I wanted something that could take 20#.
                            Pescador 12

Comment

Originally posted by Ken kayak View Post
                              Shimano Stella is best reel you can get. Size 3000

2014 Hobie Outback Blue
                              I think it's worth noting Ken recommends the Shimano Stella, in case anyone missed that.

[emoji14]
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X