Car rack for Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car rack for Hobie Outback

I've got an Xterra with basic yakima pads but was wondering what others are using that are a good fit with the Outback. Also any ideas on getting it up on the roof would be useful, I've struggled to get the bow up on the back of the Xterra and keep it there while I go to grab the stern and push it up onto the pads. Thanks.

John

This has helped me load my Revo onto a Sierra van:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...howboat-66.asp

I lean the bow on the bar and lift up the stern and slide the boat forward over the roller onto my rack.

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I deadlift it up over my head flipping it upside down as i do it.. not the healthiest way but it works for now. I have an Honda Accord and not too bad on that car. When I can't do that anymore the device Mark put is what I would use next or maybe the Hullavator but both are pretty pricey. But not as pricey as a busted back.

Comment

Yes a busted back would be no fun. Thanks for the responses I'll look into those.

Comment

I use the Rhino Rack "Rhino Universal Side Loader" to load my Outback on top of my Mitsubishi Outlander SUV. It has a detachable padded extended bar that supports the rear of the kayak while you pick up the front and place it on roof. The most weight you ever pick up is 1/2 of the Hobie weight. Plenty of videos on Rhino website ( plus a car-compatibility chart) and on YouTube.
          I'm 63 years old, bad shoulder, half a brain, and the device works well for me. Costs about $150.
          Al

Comment

I use the Thule slipstream on my Jeep; as do others on this site, but the Thule side loader may also be of use to you.
            2015 Outback
            2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

In addition to what others have said, since I was just looking at my options for my new Outback
              if u have a 2" hitch on your vehicle, there's a T-bar that tilts made by Rhino racks that solves your problem. I went with the Yakima Showboat 66 to roll my yak in place since I did not have a hitch. a 2nd person to help you lift your yak is priceless as well.

Comment

Whenican, congratulations on the new Outback.
                2015 Outback
                2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

The weight of my kayak was a key decision point for me in choosing it.

What I’ve learned since my purchase is that it gets much heavier after a typical trip. All the help I can get in loading it is essential.

It’s good that there are devices and methods and friends to help us load our kayaks.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    I've got an Xterra with basic yakima pads but was wondering what others are using that are a good fit with the Outback. Also any ideas on getting it up on the roof would be useful, I've struggled to get the bow up on the back of the Xterra and keep it there while I go to grab the stern and push it up onto the pads. Thanks.

John
                    Temporarily put a vise grip on your rack for the kayak to lean against while you walk back to the stern.
                    2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

That rhino rack t bar looks nice. I made something like that with the cheap harbor freight hitch extender that I have had for years. I just stood it up vertically instead of horizontal and installed some hully rollers on it. This is for my pickup truck where i have it sitting over the bed and tool box, so I chopped mine down a bit. Not sure if it would be tall enough for your application, but I have been thinking about getting a new one lately and saw a t bar style rack for $80 on Amazon. (Tricam SLE-1 2 in 1 E-Z Hitch Mounted Load Extender).

Tufnik has his own method for mini van topping his outback. He made this cool slider deal with some soft wheels and suction cups to allow him to slide the yak up on top of the van. Maybe he will better describe his rig for you. I would make something similar myself if I did not have a truck. The outback definitely does get heavy at the end of the day and is pretty awkward to handle being both short and heavy.

Comment

If you are thinking about the Hullavator, be aware of a couple of things. First, you will need to put Thule bars on the Exterra as it will not work with the factory racks. Second, the Hullavator does not handle loads over 75 lbs. I tried it with my 80 pound Thresher and it was not up to the task. Needless to say, I was quite bummed as I was counting on it to hump my boat up. I ended going with the Thule Role Model

All that being said, we have Thule on sale at EMS Annapolis through Labor Day - 20% off.

Good luck!
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Funny; I could be wrong but I think that's what Goody uses to load his 2015 Outback.
                          2015 Outback
                          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X