Fish Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Storage

This has probably been talked about before but what does everyone use to store their catch. I was using a soft cooler that i bought from walmart but I needed something a bit bigger so i found these yakcatch bags made by precision pak for around $40. Im gonna put it inside the hull of my revo.
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

I have a circular soft cooler that I keep in the stern storage well.

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

good thing to bring back up. I was caught unprepared as usual saturday when i foul hooked a nice rockfish at the bridge. i decided to keep it and was left pondering what to do with it since it was pretty hot out. decided to just keep it in the water after i "dispatched" it. worked out ok but it wasnt as warm as it normally is out there so i think those bags would work well midsummer. i wont go out again without frozen waterbottles and some sort of bag like that.
      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I do the softside cooler thing from Harris Teeter. It was like $10 and holds up to about a 32" rock. Have you seen the new hatch liners for the revo and outback? Just like the PA and it's removable. I thought that might be cool to just throw frozen water bottles in and it'd be much easier to clean. I keep the cooler in my rod pod, so not sure what I'll do on the revo since that front hatch isn't the easiest to get in. I usually leave mine alive on a stringer or game clip (which you should not trust) and then bleed them before I'm heading back in. If it's cold out, I'll do the same but just toss them in the tankwell before I paddle back in.

Used to fish more.

Comment

i havent seen the liners yet. can you order them separtely for the revo?
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
            i havent seen the liners yet. can you order them separtely for the revo?
            Check out Austin Kayak under new products then go to Hobie. Not sure why they don't show up otherwise. I was thinking about it since they have a good coupon in the newsletter this month.
            Used to fish more.

Comment

i dont kill the fish i just put them on a stringer, they are usually alive when i return to the ramp. lost a 19" croaker on saturday stringer got tangled in my rod leash i put the fish on the stringer then noticed that i was tangled tried to untie it and the croaker didnt like the string in its gills and started flopping around and pulled the stringer out of my hand thought i lost that whole stringer but i saw that it was still looped over the leash and grabbed it, the big guy was gone but the other was still there. man i was cursing like a sailor atleast GB saw it then he tried to lasso me and my yak with his line tyring to get the croaker

Comment

On the July M&G snakehead hunt- those pretty plastic collapsable coolers might not work so good with the nasty snakes- they have teeth and chew on things- In the picture I posted on Father's Day, the fisherman holding the snakehead had it in a heavy plastic bag inside his bait well- it had been beaten with a billy club but was still hanging on the plastic bag by its teeth- And you can't return them to the water- against Maryland DNR rules- you got to kill them-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I use a fish bag like the first one shown. Fits in the bow hatch with a 1 gallon frozen juice bottle filled with water. It will stay cool in there most of the day, but its a lot of fun trying to get a 36 in green striper in there. He wasnt happy about it but it works. I just hose it out after and hang it on the wood pile to dry. 3-4 half gallon milk jugs may work better as they can be spread out, but so far have gone with the 64 oz jug. I keep a couple of those in my freezer anyway to take up space.

Comment

I use a bag similar to Redfish's. I've kept bluefish in it without them tearing it up. I rib out a couple of gill arches, let them bleed a bit, then completely submerge them in ice. They usually slow down real fast once they hit the ice. I keep the ice in a heavier trash bag to add another layer for fin spines and teeth to go through before reaching the cooler itself.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      On the July M&G snakehead hunt- those pretty plastic collapsable coolers might not work so good with the nasty snakes- they have teeth and chew on things- In the picture I posted on Father's Day, the fisherman holding the snakehead had it in a heavy plastic bag inside his bait well- it had been beaten with a billy club but was still hanging on the plastic bag by its teeth- And you can't return them to the water- against Maryland DNR rules- you got to kill them-
                      best way to disspatch a snakehead is to cut its gills and let it bled out that way u know its dead

Comment

I use a stringer with a steel spike entering through the mouth and out the gills. It usually keeps them alive in the water for hours all the way up to arriving back at the beach. I also have some armored gloves in case I need to string up a fish with teeth and get my fingers in there a little.
                        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I snagged a Harris Teeter bag like Redfish. It works nice in the trident and is very easy to get to. Not sure what i will do if i decide to keep a fish over 35". Hopefully i will get a chance to figure this out while I'm on vacation in NC.

Comment

Guys thanks for the info. I snagged 4 of these bad boys from Harris Teeter. Then even came in three colors, red, green, and blue. 10.99 with a VIC card.
                            Hobie Outback
                            WS Tarpon
                            IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Sweet! They are supposed to have a warranty, so if they leak or stink take them back!
                              Used to fish more.

Comment

Working...
                              X