Labor Day Rockfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Rockfishing

So im thinking about trying to catch some rocks on Labor Day. Probably go out of Sandy Point? Ive never taken my kayak (10ft sit in old town angler) on the bay before and ive actually never trolled with it. Id would say im pretty experienced with it, I just always bass fish the freshwater rivers and reservoirs. Could you guys give me some advice or send me some links for information? Not sure if I need any special gear or what not. Im kinda nervous but super excited at the same time haha. Thanks in advance!

I would go out early in the day, with the holiday weekend boat traffic is going to be very busy. Not to mention regardless of wind it will be rough from all the boat wakes.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I'm not sure how others feel but I would not be comfortable in a sit-in kayak at the bridge. Especially on a holiday weekend.

Comment

acwatkins, I would find a sheltered place on a holiday weekend. Go to any of the local rivers that dump into the Bay and work the coves and out of the way places that have fish. SPSP has not offered any "Hot" fishing that is worth the risk of being out with all those "Weekend Warrior's". IMHO

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
          acwatkins, I would find a sheltered place on a holiday weekend. Go to any of the local rivers that dump into the Bay and work the coves and out of the way places that have fish. SPSP has not offered any "Hot" fishing that is worth the risk of being out with all those "Weekend Warrior's". IMHO

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA-14
          I wasn't really thinking about the holiday traffic in my original post. But now I will definitely NOT be near the bridge or SPSP. Any suggestions for a river or launch area to try? Im not too familiar with going after rockfish on my own haha

Comment

I wouldn't take a 10' anything out to the main stem, especially a sit inside. So just be careful.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              I wouldn't take a 10' anything out to the main stem, especially a sit inside. So just be careful.
              I couldn't agree more! Specific boats are designed for specific applications. A 10' sit in by the bridge is asking for trouble if that current starts to rip (which it does regularly). At the very least, the fun factor will be zero because you will be working too hard. If you launch there, stick close to shore and keep your head on a swivel. The rocks have been known to inhabit the closer pilings at times as well.

Good luck and stay safe!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Stay Home, Enjoy the Holiday, Drink Cold Beer!!!!! Go out next weekend.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I guess it's always smart to play it safe, but I dont think hitting the bay bridge in a 10ft sink is that bad. It's can be risky for sure, but providing you are experienced with it (in all weather and current conditions) and have near perfect weather, you should be fine sticking close to the bridge. If you get out there and dont feel safe though, dont push it. That's pretty big water for somewhere so close to launch and it can get really busy really fast. So it's doable as far as getting out there, but there's an enjoyable factor EMSer mentioned. The trip being worth the hassle may be another beast. It's gonna suck staying close to the bridge, avoiding wakes, boat traffic, trying to jig, getting snagged, the list goes on.
                  Be careful, I'm steering clear for this weekend just because of the crowd.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Well ive decided im just going to stick to some largemouth fishing this weekend probably hit rocky gorge or triadelphia Saturday then maybe the Potomac sunday and monday . Might try for some rockfish next weekend though!

Comment

You could try rhode river at Carrs Wharf...not sure if many stripers would be there this time of year. Bass fishing on the Potomac would probably yield better results.

Comment

Originally posted by acwatkins View Post
                        Well ive decided im just going to stick to some largemouth fishing this weekend probably hit rocky gorge or triadelphia Saturday then maybe the Potomac sunday and monday . Might try for some rockfish next weekend though!
                        Next weekend is the CBKF Tournament. You should come out and have some fun, raise money for great causes and pick up some tips to make your quest for fishing the bay more productive.

Hope to see you there!
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                        X