Snake meets toadfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake meets toadfish

Yak67 and I hit Smith Creek this morning. The fishing was below average, although we each got some nice rocks, several flounder, some weakfish and more needlefish than I care to remember. What made this day memorable was the takeout. I landed at the launch and took a step out of the kayak when I saw movement to my left. Some sort of water snake was in a tussle with a frog fish.

001.jpg

I have no idea how the snake caught the fish or why it thought it could swallow it as the fish was at least 4 times rounder than the mouth of the snake (I know they can swallow some pretty big things, but this snake had a small mouth. He became camera shy and drug the fish into the edge of the water near my kayak. I went to get my car and when I returned the snake was back on shore still gripping the toadfish. I started to pull the kayak on the trailer keeping a careful eye on the snake. He became perturbed with me, raised its head up letting go of the fish and then splashed into the water and swam away. To my utter amazement the toadfish swam away as well. Nature is awesome!

003.jpg
    Last edited by Big Mike; 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Now that is something you don't see every day!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Interesting.

Another form of catch and release!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

thats an awesome thing to see I'm sure. i would of much rather been with you guys than in court but ill get out with you guys soon enough.
        Rich
        Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Working...
        X