Karma can be a Bitch....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karma can be a Bitch....

Took off this morning earlier than I expected to be able to - about 6am. Everything seemed perfect. A nice falling tide and steady current, virtually no wind and a subtle, but beautiful sunrise to be appreciated.

I rigged 2 colors of ZMan paddletails at different depths. One on a jig and one a a weighted hook. 10 minutes into my track, the lighter rig came alive and I got to enjoy a spirited tug of war with, what was clearly, a keeper Rock.

As I reach down to lip the fish, I realize that she inhaled the weighted hook and was severely gut hooked. Try as I might to be gentle, there was no removing the rig without causing major damage to the fish. I have always practiced catch and release, but this fish was clearly not going to survive.

I went through my gear to see if I could rig a makeshift stringer so that I could do right by her, but came up empty. It pained me to see her struggle upon release and almost immediately go belly up.... I reminded myself that, in nature, nothing gets wasted, but I still didn't feel good about wasting a fish.

As I paddled away, I put the fish out of my wind and went looking for the next one. For the next 3.5 hours, I didn't get anything more that a bluefish biting the tail of my BKD off.

Karma indeed....

DSCN2845.jpgDSCN2842.jpg
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Rear tankwell, forward hatch, under your legs, in your pocket. Plenty of places to stow unexpected keeper fish. But hey the crabs need to eat too
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

That's gonna happen sometime. Go get a de-hooker, something like this: https://www.austinkayak.com/products...FdSQHwodiEwL8g . I usually carry one and use it when the hook is stuck like that and usually get it out without any issues. Nice catch by the way. You could just have sushi on the spot (jk).

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Bruce -

It was good to see you at the ramp this morning. Congratulations on your keeper striper. Sorry it was mortally wounded.

I went exploring for the first half of the trip to check out some shorelines where I had not visited before. Some areas looked very promising (they would be easier to work at a higher water level). I saw a decent amount of bait and wakes from fish that spooked as I came along.

During the second half of the trip I visited some of my usual Goodhands-area spots. Some produced well (2 large fish), while others produced nothing. This year I have been pretty lucky to avoid the cow nose rays -- I had hooked only one so far all season. Today, I hooked two of them about 5 minutes apart. Once I verify that I have a ray on the line, I point my rod at the ray, palm the spool, and break the line at the lure. That way I lose the lure but not a bunch of line or a bunch of time.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

there are plenty of chicken necks laying on the bottom of the bay for the crabs to eat ! why didnt you take it home and have a delicious meal ? not judging but seems like a terrible waste . nice catch by the way
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

If I want to release a fish that's hooked too deep for the hook to be removed without mortally wounding a fish, I cut the line as close to the hook as possible and let it go with the hook in place. I don't know how true it is; but my grandfather told me when I was young, that fish have an enzyme in them that will dissolve a hook and the fish will survive.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
              Rear tankwell, forward hatch, under your legs, in your pocket. Plenty of places to stow unexpected keeper fish. But hey the crabs need to eat too
              I considered all of those options (well, not the pocket) but opted against them due to anticipating being on the water for another 4 hours with no way to keep her out of the heat. I found solace in the crabs having a feast...

I will better prepared for the next time it happens
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixkeith View Post
                there are plenty of chicken necks laying on the bottom of the bay for the crabs to eat ! why didnt you take it home and have a delicious meal ? not judging but seems like a terrible waste . nice catch by the way
                Who wants to eat chicken necks over rockfish?! Crabs deserve a good meal every once in awhile.
                Zack
                Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Bruce -

It was good to see you at the ramp this morning. Congratulations on your keeper striper. Sorry it was mortally wounded.

I went exploring for the first half of the trip to check out some shorelines where I had not visited before. Some areas looked very promising (they would be easier to work at a higher water level). I saw a decent amount of bait and wakes from fish that spooked as I came along.

During the second half of the trip I visited some of my usual Goodhands-area spots. Some produced well (2 large fish), while others produced nothing. This year I have been pretty lucky to avoid the cow nose rays -- I had hooked only one so far all season. Today, I hooked two of them about 5 minutes apart. Once I verify that I have a ray on the line, I point my rod at the ray, palm the spool, and break the line at the lure. That way I lose the lure but not a bunch of line or a bunch of time.
                  It was good to talk to you this morning as well John. I appreciate the tips and the paddletails. I checked out 12 Fathom and they have some nice looking stuff
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                    I considered all of those options (well, not the pocket) but opted against them due to anticipating being on the water for another 4 hours with no way to keep her out of the heat. I found solace in the crabs having a feast...

I will better prepared for the next time it happens
                    ............ Ya had fishing line on your rod ........ That would've made a stringer

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      ............ Ya had fishing line on your rod ........ That would've made a stringer
                      yeah. Thought about that too late
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

that striper will make for great crab food and I'm sure one fish isn't going to take down the population. i released a 19 incher the other day after being badly hooked in the gills. i got the hook out being very careful but it took me too long to do so. when i dropped it in at my pier it spiraled down so i thought i was good. 2 minutes later it surfaced 20 or so feet from the pier upside down. i wasn't happy but realized that there is a food kingdom for a reason and the species will move on despite my mistake. plus this is a lesson as everything is isn't it.... you will have the right tool, or the stringer, or a fish basket or something to change the outcome next time. thats what matters. congrats on catching a keeper as many many folks out here are struggling to do so.
                        Rich
                        Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Working...
                        X