Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
    There were lots of Hobies...both of ours included. LOL
    Mine wasn't there, my dad's was though.. Unfortunately I was working.

Comment

Great event CBKA and thanks for the pics chex! I fished kent narrows area and could only bring in dink stripers. Damn bluefish wouldn't touch my hard or metal baits but devoured my soft plastics.
      sigpic

Comment

Only dinks for Cowkid2 and I. Lots of 12" bluefish and striper. Cowkid2 did get her very first (and 2, 3 ,4, ... 10) blue today though; so that was cool. Hopefully the bigger blues and striper will show up on our hooks soon. We got to chase breaking fish and birds for the first time this season, so that was fun.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

"Thank you!" to all who participated in the tournament.

Results are posted on http://chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com

We'll be posting pictures in the days to come.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Great pics, nice!

Comment

What a great event! I believe everyone had a blast despite the wind and plethora of small fish. I know I had a blast.

Congrats to the winners! There were some nice fish caught and we know what they were. That being said, I would love to know how everyone else did. IF you still have your pics, why not post them up so everyone can get the full flavor of the day.

Here's mine - the ones I could keep in the boat to pose.....

DSCN2886.jpgDSCN2884.jpgDSCN2882.jpgDSCN2880.jpgDSCN2879.jpgDSCN2876.jpgDSCN2875.jpgDSCN2874.jpgDSCN2872.jpgDSCN2871.jpg
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

CBKA Tournament is great fishing
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Ken kayak; 09-14-2015, 12:44 AM.
                2014 Hobie Outback
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                2nd PLACE
                Slam Division

Comment

no need for me to post pics. the full flavor of my experience wasn't in the quality of the fish thats for sure. the only fish i landed over 12 inches was a 18 inch needle fish. now if they had a trash fish pot i may of had a chance. haha. but it truly was an amazing event where i met many new fishing buddies and saw quite a bit of DIY mods folks have on their yaks i liked as well. food was great, Donna did a great job with it all. Although i didn't win any of the pots, i did win on 6 of my 10 raffle tickets i bought so that was Awesome!!!!. I've done many tournaments on the west coast and on final weighing days it always seems there are folks all pissed off and talking crap about who won. that was polar opposite from this one. everyone in the room was clapping for the winners and laughing about how their own days went. ill be back next year for sure despite weather or quality of fishing.
                  Rich
                  Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

My chartreuse Clouser caught seven little stripers about this size (and a needle fish) before the wind and rain and the threat of even more ominous weather chased me off of the water at 9:30.

P1000801.JPG

I’ve had more impressive days fishing but fewer days that were more fun.

Thanks to the organizers and contestants for making the 2015 CBKA tournament a winning event for all.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My photos were underwhelming. But I did have a fun and challenging experience. Here is how my day went.

I wore myself out launching at three different locations trying for a large perch, blue, and striper. I hit Weems Creek at 6:30 and found a few perch, but none bigger than 9”. I loaded up and drove to Little Creek (Crab Alley Bay) where I launched at 8:15 into steady 2-ft waves with an occasional 3-footer for good measure. I found loads of working birds but the pedaling and maneuvering was tough for a 10-ft kayak in those conditions.

006.jpg

I trolled 4 lines for a while but had many bluefish biteoffs. When I got close to working birds and active fish, I pulled in the trolling lines and cast to the fish. I caught some small rockfish and one 11.5” bluefish. By 10:15, the winds had increased and it started to rain. I returned to the ramp and loaded the kayak back in the van in the rain.

At that point, I was ready for a break. I drove to Goodhands to see if any kayakers were in the parking area. Apparently they all came in earlier - none were there when I got there. I stopped at a tackle shop nearby to replenish my stock of Zmans plastics (the bluefish did a real number on my Fat Sams in Crab Alley Bay). I contemplated eating an early lunch, but instead I rode over to the Kent Narrows ramp. The rain had stopped by then, and the wind had dropped. I went ahead and relaunched at 11:15 to focus on some nearby structure that has been good to me recently. On my first pass, I caught a 20.5” striper. In the process, one line got wrapped around the prop shaft. Once I had drifted clear of the structure, I raised the Propel drive, got an Allen wrench from my tackle box, and removed the prop. I unwound the line from the prop shaft and reinstalled the prop. I continued fishing the structure for another 45 minutes without any more fish. I trolled to the shoreline south of Hog Island and into part of Kirwan Creek. I was getting tired and sore by then, but still trolled back along the shoreline up to the Narrows. The $%(&*(*&&*^ wind shifted again, slamming me with more 2 footers on the way in. I was happy to get back on solid ground. My total of 41” was not enough to place in the slam category, but I feel like I put in a good effort.

Many thanks to the CBKA organizers for their hard work in putting on a great event for a good cause.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Fantastic pictures. Hope to participate next year. John, Mark, and others have provided me with priceless information and more.
                        With my brother moving to FL this month, I will be focusing my kayak fishing mostly here on the bay.
                        Best to all.
                        DaveO
                        Arnold/Annapolis
                        Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

I had a great time at my first CBKA Tourney. I put in twice (before and after the storm that we thought would be bigger than it was) on one of the tributaries and ended up with stripers, perch, bluefish, and what looked like a 12" shad. My largest striper was only 17", but I landed two of those on a simultaneous double hook-up, so that was fun. I should have taken a photo of my 12-14" bluefish because it may have placed; I didn't because I assumed it was too small. Great gathering. Thanks to the organizers.
                          Michael
                          Washington, DC
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

Sunday morning we had a late way in. DSC_0142.jpg fishing 1.jpg
                            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
                              Sunday morning we had a late way in. [ATTACH=CONFIG]17099[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17100[/ATTACH]

We have a new "fly division" winner!
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X