Reel Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel Suggestions

Hey dudes. I'm looking at getting a new conventional reel. I'm going to the OBX in the fall and I really want to setup a heaver combo for sharks/drum/etc. But I also want a reel that is comfortable on my short boat Rod for fighting big fish from the kayak.

Spec wise I'm looking for something that can hold quite a bit of line. 400-500 yards of 20-25# big game is ideal. It also obviously needs to be something that's comfortable casting wise. I was looking at jigmasters but a lot of people complain that they're too bulky to cast. Last and certainly not least is something with a clicker. I would love to use my abus but one they're a little small, and two they don't have clickers.

I'm not all that familiar with conventional reels so I'm definitely looking for some insight here! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

I have some old non-levelwind jigmasters with epoxied rare earth magnets. I can cast them just fine surf fishing, but I don't really ever use them on the kayak.

Comment

Yea I read that to get the jigmasters really good at surf casting you have to do that magnet mod.

Zack
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

5Really easy mod. The jig master is a great reel for surf fishing. You can heave some serious weight with them. Making me miss surf fishing a bit. I have some really nice surf rods just sitting collecting dust.

-I do sometimes use the jig master on my kayak, buy usually only when livelining eels for cow stripers...like having the clicker.
        Last edited by JohnE; 09-17-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

If you want a Jigmaster let me know...
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Are the parts easy to come by? And that's good to know because this is going to be my 8oz+ setup. I have a spinning setup I really like for throwing anything less.

Zack
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Redfish if I decide on a jigmasters I'll PM you

Zack
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Yes, parts are very easy to come by and there are lots of upgrades. Don't read the Alan Tani site or it will prompt you to buy them on ebay for cheap and rebuild them. I rebuilt a few and now they are sitting, pretty much overkill for fishing from a kayak but I wanted them for boat trips. You're welcome to test cast one and see if it's what you're looking for.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X