NEW to KAYAKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW to KAYAKING

Hello everyone I am new to kayaking I recently purchased a Redfish 12 by Heritage and took it out on a lake right around the corner from were I live for about 8 hours before bringing it home and getting it ready for accessories. I have enjoyed ready many of your threads and cannot wait to join in on the fun.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or even any tips or tricks feel free to leave a note.

Welcome! That was my frrst kayak, very capable and a comfy seat!

This was mine...

Last edited by Redfish12; 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM.
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Welcome BassMan! You are officially a member of the kayak fraternity. What I learned from the first day that I got my kayak was that I needed to go out fishing a few times before deciding how I wanted to rig mine and did not buy everything at once even though its tempting. In due time you will find out what is most comfortable for you as far as were to place rod holders, if you want to use a crate, anchor trolley, etc. Have fun and enjoy. Hope to see you sometime on the water.

Comment

Welcome!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

Here is what I have so far

Humming bird WIDE Fishfinder
          Scotty Fishing rod holder

more to come

also I was thinking of adding a trolling motor not sure if I want to do that or not.

Are there any Pros and Cons of doing that?
          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome the yak fishing community! Thanks for joining
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by bassman27 View Post

also I was thinking of adding a trolling motor not sure if I want to do that or not.

Are there any Pros and Cons of doing that?
              Only con I've come up with is stashing enough $$ to get one. Don't know about the pro's, but I'm sure they're many.

Welcome to the group. Since it's still fresh in your mind, where'd your first cast land from down close to the water? Mine splashed down about 10' away from the yak. It's a whole new perspective when your butt's below sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                Only con I've come up with is stashing enough $$ to get one. Don't know about the pro's, but I'm sure they're many.

Welcome to the group. Since it's still fresh in your mind, where'd your first cast land from down close to the water? Mine splashed down about 10' away from the yak. It's a whole new perspective when your butt's below sea level.
                They actually have one on amazon for about 99 dollars its a pretty nice one too.

As far as my first cast i was definently surprised especailly after feeling like i was about to flip over the yak i would say maybe about 8 ft till i got used to it (about 2 hours in) then i was fishing like a champ again.

Comment

In Maryland, you'll have to register the yak. It's no big deal because the yak is under 16', and the motor will be less than 7.5hp (my assumtpion lol). So registration is free; it'll cost you just $2.00 for the title fee.
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                    In Maryland, you'll have to register the yak. It's no big deal because the yak is under 16', and the motor will be less than 7.5hp (my assumtpion lol). So registration is free; it'll cost you just $2.00 for the title fee.
                    Thanks for the info

Comment

You can add a motor/battery system for about $200.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Welcome! You will never go back!

I would suggest trying it out for awhile before rigging anything. Go to a meet and greet and see how others are rigged, check out youtube and other kayak sites. There's many ways to rig and you want to see what works best for yourself and how you like to fish.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to all who have welcomed me to the site thus far lookin forward to fishing wit some of you all sometime (after i get all rigged up and all )

Comment

welcome, ah a new shinny redfish, loved mine stable, comfy and nimble. sorry i sold it along with my tarpon to get my hobie but needed the cash

Comment

nice pic, looks like my garage, i have an R6 next to the kayak..lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X