Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new to kayak fishing

Hello all,
    I found this website from a mention in another kayak forum and am beyond excited to find a group that focuses on kayaking the MD, DC, VA, DE area. I literally have a million questions but before I get crazy I will scour the site to see if my questions have already been answered After renting kayaks(outdoor rec from military bases) the last 2 years I have decided to buy kayaks for my son and I. I have decided on the Ascend FS12T (after exhaustive research)from BPS as my starter, if anyone one has any information on this yak, stability, maneuverability, or any other pros or cons please let me know, I am going to BPS in Arundel Mills on Saturday to purchase. I know I am purchasing late in the season but it is exciting to know I have at least a month to kick the tires on the yak to see if it works for me. I plan on mostly fishing in the bay tributaries but I would also like to take it to the BB from Sandy Point and cruise leisurely with my family on a creek if I want to, I know the Ascend is known as the "Tank"LOL. Again I'm really excited about getting started and please forgive in advance if I ask real basic questions, I'm new to this.
    New to the game but not a rookie!

I have the 2015 Fs12t and it's awesome. Super stable, treks decently, lots of storage, super comfortable, and pretty durable. There's a few minor things that aren't optimal I guess but for $550 out the door it's a great deal. Good starter kayak for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Nice thing is if anything is wrong with it you can take it right back to BPS and they'll exchange it for free

Zack
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
        Nice thing is if anything is wrong with it you can take it right back to BPS and they'll exchange it for free

That is the thing that MAIN thing that pushed me to them I have a year to return it for any reason I was told. Have you ever taken yours to the Bay Bridge? And what is the most shallow water you have ever been in with it? I want to cruise down the Patuxent with my family and I think parts of the river may be as shallow as 1-2 feet in some areas.

Comment

Lol I did a 12 mile float trip the other weekend, and it can go in 5" of water easily as long as you're not loaded up with A LOT of stuff. A rock has to be just about up out of the water to tag the bottom of your boat.

I haven't taken mine to the bay bridge, but I've taken it out in salt water, rough stretches of river, and I fish it at the bottom of dams just about every weekend. It can handle just about anything.

The only thing I really wouldn't recommend it for is BTB. If the water is calm you'd be fine, but it's a little wide and the pontooned style bottom while great for stability, isn't the best for punching through waves.

Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

If you have any other questions feel free to message me your number and I'll text ya with whatever you want to know.

I got my boat from AM Basspro and their customer service is the bomb dot com.

Zack
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Hey man I just got my Ascend FS12T in the middle of summer and have been out to the chop tank river/mouth of the bay on a really choppy day and it handled great. Would you want to go out and fish the Severn bridge Saturday morning?
              Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by Kayabe View Post
                Hey man I just got my Ascend FS12T in the middle of summer and have been out to the chop tank river/mouth of the bay on a really choppy day and it handled great. Would you want to go out and fish the Severn bridge Saturday morning?
                Won't be able to make it Saturday due to family obligations, but I REALLY appreciate the offer and would like to hook up with you another time if possible. Really want to go out with someone who has a good idea what's going on. Strippers are running in the Severn I'm guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
                  I am going to BPS in Arundel Mills on Saturday to purchase.
                  Just a thought. With it being late in the season, you might be able to cut a deal. Go in looking for one. Then ask to speak to the manager and see if they'll give you a discount for 2.

Everything is negotiable. And it is the end of the month also.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                    Just a thought. With it being late in the season, you might be able to cut a deal. Go in looking for one. Then ask to speak to the manager and see if they'll give you a discount for 2.

Everything is negotiable. And it is the end of the month also.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                    ^^^^^^^^^

Zack
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I just bought an FS12T from the Bass Pro just north of Richmond, VA.

I'm trying to get my wife interested in fishing and it would be for her. I've got the FS128T I bought this summer.

I've got a buddy who also bought an FS12T this summer and he says he's really enjoying it.

The FS models only have carry handles at the bow and stern. I mounted an addition set at the midpoint to help when putting it into or pulling it out of the truck and storing it in the shed. I plan to do the same for the FS12T as the issues of handling it are the same, even if it's 20 lbs. lighter.

I'm really wanting to do some small river fishing but so far, it's not working out for me. Maybe one of these days. Up to know we've just fished small lakes around the southwest side of the Richmond, VA area.

Comment

Originally posted by M1A4ME View Post
                        I just bought an FS12T from the Bass Pro just north of Richmond, VA.

I'm trying to get my wife interested in fishing and it would be for her. I've got the FS128T I bought this summer.

I've got a buddy who also bought an FS12T this summer and he says he's really enjoying it.

The FS models only have carry handles at the bow and stern. I mounted an addition set at the midpoint to help when putting it into or pulling it out of the truck and storing it in the shed. I plan to do the same for the FS12T as the issues of handling it are the same, even if it's 20 lbs. lighter.

I'm really wanting to do some small river fishing but so far, it's not working out for me. Maybe one of these days. Up to know we've just fished small lakes around the southwest side of the Richmond, VA area.
                        I decided on the FS after a lot of research (too much probably) Going to get it this weekend but like Buzz said maybe I can cut a deal and walk out with 128T!!

Comment

The 128t seems less suited for choppy water. That kayak has an almost flat and level deck with the sidewalls, like a paddle board.

Zack
                          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

And the FS128T weighs right at 100 lbs. empty. With the gear on/in it, it's a load to get out of the truck or into the truck. Out on the water I don't notice it though. The FS12T is about 20 lbs. lighter to start with. Mine is strictly for freshwater fishing. The room and seat are great.

If you decide to put a depth finder in yours (I installed a combination depth finder/GPS on mine) you can mount the transducer inside the hull using some duct seal stuff you can buy at Home Depot. I put mine in a couple months back or so and I've had no issues. So far the only mods I've made to mine are the depth finder and the side carry handles.

I've been thinking about building me an adjustable caddy/cart to help me get it from the truck to the shore or the shore to the truck. That should be a good winter time project though.

Comment

Originally posted by M1A4ME View Post
                              And the FS128T weighs right at 100 lbs. empty. With the gear on/in it, it's a load to get out of the truck or into the truck. Out on the water I don't notice it though. The FS12T is about 20 lbs. lighter to start with. Mine is strictly for freshwater fishing. The room and seat are great.

If you decide to put a depth finder in yours (I installed a combination depth finder/GPS on mine) you can mount the transducer inside the hull using some duct seal stuff you can buy at Home Depot. I put mine in a couple months back or so and I've had no issues. So far the only mods I've made to mine are the depth finder and the side carry handles.

I've been thinking about building me an adjustable caddy/cart to help me get it from the truck to the shore or the shore to the truck. That should be a good winter time project though.
                              Are you able to load the 128T by yourself? But it handles well in the water? 100lbs just seemed REALLY heavy to me even the $2900 pedal kayak I looked at weighed 95lbs. I had already planned to add a couple of handles on the 12T to make it easier to load.

Comment

Working...
                              X