New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

Hey guys, just wanted to check in and say hello and quickly introduce myself. I'm new to the site and have just a few months ago started kayak fishing. I bought a native watercraft slayer 12 kayak and have been tinkering around trying to get it set up the way I want. I live in southern Maryland (st Mary's county) and mostly fish the Patuxent river, without much luck so far! I'm very excited to dig through all the posts here and hopefully get to know some of you. Unfortunately my kayaking experience far outweighs my fishing knowledge so I'd love to learn as much as I can from the community.

Tight lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the forum

Welcome aboard.
    You've found a great resource here. If you can't find what you're looking for by searching, just ask.

I mostly fish in St Mary's also... but on the Potomac side. Seems there more public access launches on the Potomac.

Most of my hits are on white 3-4 inch paddle tails. But with the bluefish in now, I will frequently switch to a white bucktail.

See ya on the water.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by fsuhansell View Post
      Hey guys, just wanted to check in and say hello and quickly introduce myself. I'm new to the site and have just a few months ago started kayak fishing. I bought a native watercraft slayer 12 kayak and have been tinkering around trying to get it set up the way I want. I live in southern Maryland (st Mary's county) and mostly fish the Patuxent river, without much luck so far! I'm very excited to dig through all the posts here and hopefully get to know some of you. Unfortunately my kayaking experience far outweighs my fishing knowledge so I'd love to learn as much as I can from the community.

Tight lines.

Welcome! New here also. The guys on here have been very helpful I would ask away. I plan on fishing the Severn river soon.
      New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
        Welcome aboard.
        You've found a great resource here. If you can't find what you're looking for by searching, just ask.

I mostly fish in St Mary's also... but on the Potomac side. Seems there more public access launches on the Potomac.

Most of my hits are on white 3-4 inch paddle tails. But with the bluefish in now, I will frequently switch to a white bucktail.

See ya on the water.

The lures you mention I can get at any tackle shop?
        New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Welcome. You will certainly find lots of good information here on fishing the areas waters from a kayak. I here about Cuckhold Creek off the Patuxent on this forum a bit and Piney Point area on the P. river side and St. George Creek side can be productive. In fact I'm headed down to try Cuckhold tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants to join me PM me. Plan on fishing 3:00 till dusk.
          WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Buzz, I've had some decent luck with paddle tails, but I agree, with the blues constantly biting them in half it gets frustrating. I have a few white bucktails in my box but haven't been able to hook anything using them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
              The lures you mention I can get at any tackle shop?
              Sure can. Start with Walmart. They usually are discounting their tackle this time of year.

fsuhansell... Try adding a small strip of Fish Bites Bloodworm. The red color and bloodworm scent seem to do the trick for me.

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I'll have to try that fish bites this weekend. I've been using uncle josh pork rind, but that's just white. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by WOOD YAK View Post
                  Welcome. You will certainly find lots of good information here on fishing the areas waters from a kayak. I here about Cuckhold Creek off the Patuxent on this forum a bit and Piney Point area on the P. river side and St. George Creek side can be productive. In fact I'm headed down to try Cuckhold tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants to join me PM me. Plan on fishing 3:00 till dusk.
                  The winds tomorrow are going to be very strong out of the NE to E. This makes launching at Clark's difficult and will not allow you to fish the productive spots. You might, and I say might, be able to fish Piney Point if you can get under the bridge to the Potomac side. I'm generally available to fish most days. PM me if you want company or some advice on spots to try. In the meantime get th the Tackle Box and get the 4" Z-Man paddletails in Pearl ( the only color they carry) and 3/8 ounce jig heads with as big a hook as you can find, 3/0 or 4/0 would be perfect. I'm not around this weekend but really there will be little Kayak fishing to do with the winds.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                  X