Road trippin - New species and PBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trippin - New species and PBs

I covered a lot of miles and wetted a lot of lures on my road trip up north. After some work trainings, I spent a couple of days fishing Boston’s South Shore looking for the cows that were reported to be in the area. I didn’t fair any better than I do locally. All the fish were schoolies 22-24 inches. It didn’t make a difference though. The weather was perfect and the water crystalline. It provided an awesome perspective of watching the battle from above.

My next leg was 3 days fishing the north fork of Long Island. I had a plan. The fish didn’t read it though. That area hadn’t seen a stripper bite in months. To my surprise the Albies had arrived only days before.

My buddy came down and we hit the salt by 5am. The winds were calm and the tide ebbing. It was a perfect day to be on the water. The forecasted 15 knot winds were not due to hit for hours. As I worked the rocky points that litter the area, I caught Black Sea Bass and Blackfish (Togs). There was bait everywhere, but nothing working them.

While trolling my way back to some productive structure, the drag on my surface line started to scream. I hadn't felt anything like it since I went Salmon fishing years ago. Every time I got it close, the line would fly off my reel. I was sure I had found the elusive cow I had been seeking.

When I finally brought it near my Thresher, I saw that it was an Albie. My heart rate accelerated and my adrenaline surged. After getting her into the yak and into the hog trough (only 26”), I felt an immense amount of satisfaction as I watched her vanish with one flick of her tail. I had never caught a fish as elegant as this. It was a phenomenal 10 minutes that will have me hooked forever.

Soon after, the winds started to kick up, hours ahead of schedule. My buddy and I had to fight to regain the ground the current had drifted us through. By the time we were close, the swells were 3-5 ft. At times I couldn’t see over the peak from the bottom of the trough. The winds were out of the north and the fetch stretched across the entire Sound. I was very happy to be in a boat designed to handle such situations.

Unfortunately, my partner wasn’t. His Tarpon 120 ended up turtling. I made my way back to him and collected as much gear as he could pass over, including his rods. He did end up loosing some gear (mostly mine), but it could have been much worse. He wasn’t able to right the boat in the conditions and ended riding on top of an upside down kayak the 200 yards to shore. We were lucky we were close to the take out and the wind and waves pushed him right in. Much longer in the 65 degree water wouldn’t have been good.

I finally arrived back to the launch. Out of sheer luck, I made a perfect surf landing with minimal impact to the gear. I hopped out to the applause of some local surfcasters who were grinding and flashing 2 thumbs up.

After I hauled my boat on the beach, a local cop pulled up and said that a beachfront home owner had reported we were having issues (long before the turtle) and that he was about to dispatch the Marine Unit. I assured him that we were fine and showed him all the safety gear I had in preparation of any mishaps, including my VHF radio. Once he reassessed the situation and called off the hounds, we spent 20 minutes talking fishing. He was fascinated about fishing Albies from a Kayak.

I spent the rest of the day catching Bluefish (including a PB 22”er) from the rocks at Lands End in Orient Point.

The tragic part of the story was the wind blew for the rest of my time there and I couldn’t get back out to the Albies. The silver lining was that I returned to the town where I grew up about 60 miles away and fished waters I hadn’t been on in almost 40 years. The fishing was sub par, but the setting was sublime. I fished multiple schools of bunker without any luck other than snagging a few as I retrieved across and below them. I kept chasing birds and breaking fish but the action literally only lasted seconds. The surface would explode, the birds would dive and then it would be over before I could take 10 paddle strokes in that direction. The only species I legitimately caught were Sea Robins.

The final day was again spent on the rocks with little more to show for it than some smallish blues. I did take great pleasure watching surfcasters throwing huge poppers and catching 30”+ monster Bluefish. Try as I might, I couldn’t get my offerings out to the same places, so I settled into my role as spectator. It was a blast! I can see myself taking up that form of fishing some day (after I pay off all the bills from my latest endeavors...)

All in all, it was an amazing trip. I am already looking forward to the next time I can share the water with some False Albacore. Ain’t nothing like them..

Here is the tally from the trip:
    -Rockfish - nothing special - all between 22”-24” DSCN2890.jpgDSCN2887.jpg

- False Albacore - New species for me - 26” DSCN2961.jpgDSCN2959.jpgDSCN2960.jpg

- Bluefish PB - 22” - no pic

- Black Sea Bass - new species for me DSCN2957.jpg

- Togs - new species for me - no pic - it was embarrassed by it size...

- Sea Robins - new species for me DSCN3012.jpg

- Bunker - new species for me (does snagging count?) DSCN2988.jpgDSCN2990.jpg
    Last edited by EMSer; 09-27-2015, 12:05 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Nice report & well done on the new species & pb's.

Comment

Bruce - That sounds like a great experience to catch the Albie and many other new species. I'm glad your fishing buddy made it in safely.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report and congrats on the new species and PBs.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Bruce, you are certainly racking up the fish count!

Comment

Bruce,

That's an excellent trip report.

Congratulations on the fish you caught and especially on your presence of mind and quick actions to help your friend in need.

It's amazing how perspective changes given our circumstances...24 inch schoolies? I bet that's the first time stripers that size have been referred to as schoolies on this forum.

Thanks for sharing.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome report!
              Zack
              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

It's amazing how perspective changes given our circumstances...24 inch schoolies? I bet that's the first time stripers that size have been referred to as schoolies on this forum.
                Thanks Mark. I spent a lot of time on the NEKF forum before the trip. Compared to what I was seeing being reported, 24" was not anything to be excited about... It is all a matter of of perspective. I really wanted something over 30" so I admit to being disappointed. Twisted, isn't it?
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Bruce - Thanks for posting the Northern waters trip report. Seems like you picked up a lot of new species if not the that 30"+ Rock (or as they say up there "linesider") you were looking for. That Albie looks beautiful in the photos and sounds like it was a blast to catch.
                  WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Great report. Those albies sound like fun.

Mike

Comment

Great job out there. Thanks for sharing.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Awesome report and adventure. Nothing like albies from the yak
                        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Great report!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Great report!

I was on Block Island (not all that far from you I believe) for a wedding last weekend.

For months I had been debating even trying for the stripers up there, as I had read stories of WALLS of 30lb fish being seen by divers. I was worried I would get the slim chance to fish a school like that and be ruined for our local striper fishing.

I managed to get 3 hours out on the yak. You were absolutely right about the bait. It was EVERYWHERE... I trolled for a while, hoping for Albies and Bonita, with no luck and no signs of feeding fish. I ended up jigging the channel for fluke. My Gulp were being being hit almost immediately when they hit the bottom and most were bit in half quickly. My first hookup was fortunately my first fluke ever. At 16" it would have been perfect at home, but 18" is the minimum up there. Also landed my first Sea Robin (man those things sound mean, like a croaker that wants to bite your fingers off) and first Porgie. The porgie was foul hooked, I then realized that with such a small mouth it must have been porgies that were biting me off so frequently.

On my way back to the ramp I finally got a chance to see the boiling albies. I was 100 yards out and raced to reel in my trolling rods. As I approached, some &*(^% woman on a paddleboard who had absolutely no idea what she was watching paddled her way straight through the school. Just like that they were gone... A couple of guys on the dock nearby had been watching it all go down and just shook their heads in disappointment.

A few people up for the wedding went out on charters and skunked on stripers. The only fish caught were a few sea bass, so even the locals were unable to get on the fish. I read on the last fishing report before I left that the water temps are the highest this time of year and the only reliable time to get stripers is at night.
                            Mike

Comment

Thanks for the report. New waters are always awesome. Sounds like you had a great adventure
                              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X