Chincoteaque 10/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteaque 10/10

Hello all, I will be camping at Tom's Cove the weekend of 10/10. Any tips fishing there would be appreciated. I plan on bringing my kayak but mostly looking for surf/shore fishing info since my wife will be with me. Thanks!
    2016 Ascend FS12T
    Pelican Apex 100

Great area! Had a great time down that way a few years back in the spring. There is a boat launch at veterans memorial park that would be a decent paddle. Only caught a few dog sharks and eels from there. There is a lot of area back there that looked like good flounder spots. (didn't have the yak with me) Surf fishing seemed to be the locals go to. Get the park pass and give it a go. The park pass is great even just to see the park. But for a lot of local knowledge I really recommend stopping by captain Steve's bait shop on Maddox blv. They will have all the bait and rigs you could ever need. A great group they have there, always willing to share knowledge of the area. Best of luck! Tight lines!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    Tan-Tarpon 140
    Lime-Pelican Matrix
    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

May be some reds in the surf out front. Cut bait such as kingfish, spot, mullet, or peanut bunker will do the trick. A fish finder rig is what I'd recommend. If SlobberBob sees this he will probably reply with more info, as he fishes at Wallops Island often. If you send him a PM, he'll likely help you out. He's a pretty nice guy, so long as you don't catch a big red 3 feet from him

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Just hit the beach over on the refuge if you want to shore fish. Bull reds should still be available if you have the tackle to toss big baits + 5 or more ounces.Otherwise, you can probably find a few smaller drum (< 35"), blues and kingfish. Maybe a few short early season stripers and a few flounder still lingering in the shore break. Like the other poster said, Cpt. Steves are good people and will let you know what's biting.

Memorial Park also has a fishing dock and there is a fishing pier next to Robert Reed Park where the old bridge used to come across if you want to try the back channels.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          He's a pretty nice guy, so long as you don't catch a big red 3 feet from him
          You mean as long as SOMEBODY (no names ) doesn't googan raid my spot and catch the red under my kayak before it finds my bait?
          Brian

Comment

Just got back from the area, actually a bit below Chincoteague. Wind all week for us and only got the kayaks out a few times. Caught some small flounder & sea trout on gulp mantis shrimp on the Chesapeake Bay side. Annis Cove of the Chesapeake side was particularly nice and fishable even with the nasty winds.

As others have said you have all the surf fishing you want at Assateague. Memorial Park is nicely set up and relaxing if you just want to toss out a bottom rig with some fishbites. Have always caught something there, usually small but nice to do in the evening.

If you want to do a little exploring there is plenty of water access up and down the coast there. Plenty on the ocean side bays and the Chesapeake Bay side. Plenty of piers, bulkheads and just plain old ramps to cast a line from. Stunning pulling into some of the places and just having it all to yourself, big change from up here on the western shore.

Guard Shore on the Chesapeake side is well worth the 30-40 minute drive, nice beach, jetty and good for the kayaks, fishing from shore or the jetty, Annis Cove that I mentioned runs right down to it and opens out to shallow bay there that faces Guard Shore.

You may want to give some crabbing a go. No license needed for hand lines and two traps. Bulkheads and piers galore are around. Found it very enjoyable when the winds were holding us back from fishing.

Here is a link of Accomack Boating Facilities. Just about every one offers a place to cast from shore or pier.
            http://co.accomack.va.us/departments...ing-facilities

I have these all in GPX for GPS or Google Earth Kml files if you are interested PM me and I can get them to you to put in your GPS or Google Earth

Comment

Surf fishing would be ideal, but they're getting some funky surf reports right now on AI with beach erosion and ish. Probably be tough to hold with 8oz right now. I'd bring the kayak for sure and play around in the back bays with some gulp if surf fishing conditions sucked.
              Zack
              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I'll post my results on monday. Tight lines!
                2016 Ascend FS12T
                Pelican Apex 100

Comment

Didn't have much luck. I fished from my campsite at Tom's Cove on their pier. I only had 4 oz weights and couldn't hold bottom. I should have had heavier weights but thought 4's would do it since i wasn't on the ocean. I also had trouble with my crab trap staying on the bottom. I did manage a few fish in my crab trap and these orange blobs. I am thinking egg sac of some sort. I ll try and post photos once i figure it out. When i try now i only get an option to take a photo.
                  2016 Ascend FS12T
                  Pelican Apex 100

Comment

need spider weights in heavy currents or large baits. like these...

4-oz-ounce-sputnik-spider-surf-fishing-lure-salt-water-sinker-weight-clean-lead_774803.JPG
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Kidnikarus View Post
                      Didn't have much luck. I fished from my campsite at Tom's Cove on their pier. I only had 4 oz weights and couldn't hold bottom. I should have had heavier weights but thought 4's would do it since i wasn't on the ocean. I also had trouble with my crab trap staying on the bottom. I did manage a few fish in my crab trap and these orange blobs. I am thinking egg sac of some sort. I ll try and post photos once i figure it out. When i try now i only get an option to take a photo.
                      Sounds like my trip. The wind blew a pretty steady 20- 30 the whole week. We stopped to check out Gargatha, breaking waves were rolling up the narrow channel at the ramp. Pretty horrendous. Really made me rethink & reconsider fishing near the ocean, I can see a nice trip turning into some survival situation real fast with a sudden change in the wind. I'm a paddler and any kayaking I do there will be well planned, not pushing it and with a careful, careful eye on the weather.

Did manage I couple of short trips in the kayaks and caught some small flounder and sea trout on the Chesapeake bay side, the wind was bad there but nothing like it was howling oceanside/oceanside bays and did let us get in some crabbing and fishing from kayaks and some piers.

Comment

Working...
                      X