Fall kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall kayaking

Since it's now officially fall and the weather is starting to feel less like summer, I was wondering what you guys wear out on the water during the fall season. I got into yak fishing in the late spring so the fall months will be the first time I will need to be concerned about staying warm and dry instead of staying cool. I know there are other new members on here, so I doubt I'm the only person that's curious about this. During the summer I wear a hat, a buff, lightweight fast drying uv protectant pants from cabelas, rubber water sandals, and a Columbia performance fishing shirt. For the fall I was considering picking up a pair of chest high waders and a dry top, and layer underneath as needed.

Any thoughts? I'm open to ideas/suggestions/etc. just trying to gear up for fall rockfish season and stay safe and comfortable on the water!
    Jayce
    2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
    2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Waders and a dry top will work just fine for all seasons if you wear the proper size waders, layer underneath with noncotton clothing, and wear a wading belt. I started out with a pair of frog tog waders and a dry top before switching to a dry top and dry pants (Kokatat). I like them better than the wader/dry top combo because they are easier to move in and taking a leak of a whole lot easier. They breath well and have help up for two spring/fall seasons.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

RavensDfense hit it on the head. Just like any outdoor activity, it is all about layers and moisture management. I prefer wool vs synthetic as my base layers, but both will work.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Merino wool thermals and fleece under my drysuit.

Comment

I participated in a conversation similar to this one, this time last year. I would strongly recommend that you hit up Youtube and search on the subject. I saw some really great vids concerning the dangers of hyperthermia and kayak fishing, all of which were created by Snaggedline members.
          People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Kokatat full paddling suit with relief zipper. Going on my 3rd season fishing through winter and it has been awsome with appropriate layers underneath:

https://www.google.com/#tbm=shop&q=k...+paddling+suit
            2013 WS Ride 135
            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Kokatat Supernova Angler. Relief zipper is worth the cost all by itself. I did the waders and dry top at the beginning of cold temps last fall, it works, but not nearly as convenient or safe when nature calls.

I need to get Cowkid2 a dry suit now also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I noticed a dry suit for sale on this forum for a very reasonable price. The dry suit seems like the way to go and I think I'll invest in one in the spring or maybe over the winter. But for right now I'm really trying to save up some money to get a new vehicle and at this time I'm not willing to spend the money for a quality dry suit. I'm confident some waders and a dry top will get me through this fall with some appropriate base layers. I have a $50 gift card to bass pro shops that I'm planning on using to help cover the cost.
                Jayce
                2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Depending on the quality of waders and dry top, you could easily get near the cost of a dry suit. Buying more economical waders and dry top will be less expensive, but you're still spending money that could go toward the cost of a quality dry suit...so you're spending money on a "right now" solution, that would be better spent saving for the actual goal. Just my $.02
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

considering cooler temps are upon us and you dont have the funds for a dry suit just get the waders and go fishing , as a matter of fact even if you had the funds still get the waders and spend the hundreds you will save on some fishing rods and tackle .
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

I paddle whitewater yaks all winter as long as the rivers are not frozen. Lots of good advice in the posts above.

Instead of waders, consider wetsuit pants and a dry top. These pants are relatively inexpensive, really comfy because they are very elastic, and very warm; they are also easy to swim in:

http://www.levelsix.com/products/rad...iant=388913682

Comment

Working...
                      X