River Kayak Fishing Bootcamp or Day Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Kayak Fishing Bootcamp or Day Class

As promised, I talked to Jeff Little, the smallmouth kayak, fisher, author, and now movie producer about doing a class on river fishing for us Maryland Kayak fishers. Unfortuanately, Jeff is taking a break from teaching as he starts up his new soft plastics company and completes his small-mouth fishing video.

However, he referred me to his colleague, Juan Veruete, of Kayak Fish PA, http://kayakfishpa.com/

Juan provides guided classes on the Susquehanna that cover topics such as paddling technique, holding position, fish behavior, pattern development, lure presentation, and strategies.

Most importantly, he will teach you about the many hazards unique to river kayaking, and how to safely fish around them, and in some instances, take advantage of them to catch more and bigger fish. You will also get an introduction to white water paddling.

Costs will be determined by the number attending but figure out somewhere between $125 to $150 per day for several folks, or higher for just a couple.

He offers a three day small mouth fishing bootcamp that includes overnight camping and meals that will quickly bring you up to speed on smallie fishing and patterning or we could do just a single day that will at least introduce you to the basics.

Anyone still interested? If so, let me know and Juan will write us a proposal. We can schedule it for up to five fishermen.

Thanks

Would the classes be on the Susky?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
      As promised, I talked to Jeff Little, the smallmouth kayak, fisher, author, and now movie producer about doing a class on river fishing for us Maryland Kayak fishers. Unfortuanately, Jeff is taking a break from teaching as he starts up his new soft plastics company and completes his small-mouth fishing video.

However, he referred me to his colleague, Juan Veruete, of Kayak Fish PA, http://kayakfishpa.com/

Juan provides guided classes on the Susquehanna that cover topics such as paddling technique, holding position, fish behavior, pattern development, lure presentation, and strategies.

Most importantly, he will teach you about the many hazards unique to river kayaking, and how to safely fish around them, and in some instances, take advantage of them to catch more and bigger fish. You will also get an introduction to white water paddling.

Costs will be determined by the number attending but figure out somewhere between $125 to $150 per day for several folks, or higher for just a couple.

He offers a three day small mouth fishing bootcamp that includes overnight camping and meals that will quickly bring you up to speed on smallie fishing and patterning or we could do just a single day that will at least introduce you to the basics.

Anyone still interested? If so, let me know and Juan will write us a proposal. We can schedule it for up to five fishermen.

Thanks
      I would definitely be interested in a class. I checked Jeff Little's website a few weeks ago and saw that he wasn't doing classes this year
      Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Let's say yes,the class will be on the Susky

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        Would the classes be on the Susky?
        Yes, think we should do on the Susky but could possibly hold one on the Potomac. This is a combination river paddling class, hazard orientation, fishing instruction, and guided trip. Juan guides on the Susky, and knows the waters there better than the Potomac. o our chances of getting on good fish are better if do the Susky.

Besides, when we're done, we could apply what we learn and easily take on the Brunswick/Point of Rocks Potomac float on our own, and after that, try more challenging waters. (Most sit-on-tops are rated up to class II although I've made it through ClassIII on my Ride135. BTW, Wilderness System says their boat are rated only for calm waters but think it is more of a CYA liability limitation foe the company rather than a limitation on the boats.

Comment

Message from Juan Veruete

Juan Veruete contacted me regarding the proposed river kayak fishing class. Since I've been to several of these, including one with Jeff, I had hoped to tag along for this event, or even assist. However, Juan says that would not be possible for several reasons, but the one he specified was due to insurance liability. Not sure why the rate or no pay would affect the policy but it is his show.

So, while I will not be attending, I still think it would be a worthwile event for those of you who would like to learn how to fish river waters safely. And I suspect Juan can put you on fish.

If interested, please contact Juan directly via his website at http://kayakfishpa.com or via phone at 814-360-7789.

Comment

Working...
          X