Knots to tie leader to braid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knots to tie leader to braid

I have stayed away from braid because I am not a great tier of knots. Can someone recommend one or two. Thanks!!

Tom Lagana
    www.tomlagana.net

There as an extensive discussion on this a couple of months ago with some great dialogue. I like the FG knot because it's very easy to tie and results in a very thin knot. Others like the Albright. Either one would do you well.
    010.jpg
    Just retied my leader with the FG - I have very clumsy fingers so others could probably get a cleaner finish than this one.
    Last edited by Big Mike; 10-11-2015, 05:38 PM.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Double Uni/ Uni to Uni has been working for me and it is super easy to tie.
      http://www.powerpro.com/publish/cont...ni_splice.html

Comment

uni to uni is what I use. Takes a while to tie, but I haven't had one fail. You can hear it tick the guides when you cast, but it doesn't seem to affect distance.

Comment

Thanks and how much leader do you put on. If I have 20 lb braid, 20 lb leader? Going to Dicks tonight, any brand name suggestions for both

Hobie Revo 13
          www.tomlagana.net

Comment

I use this knot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMSM...UOBrTw&index=3
            Hank

Lime Ocean Kayak Tetra 12

Comment

I snag too often for an FG knot for inshore use but I will probably try it for offshore in the future. My most used knot is a 6 turn surgeon knot. Put both lines together for about 10", tie an overhand knot and then pass both ends through 5 more times. Then just pull tight and you're back in business. Easy enough and you can tie it in the dark or with your eyes closed.
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lagana View Post
                Thanks and how much leader do you put on. If I have 20 lb braid, 20 lb leader? Going to Dicks tonight, any brand name suggestions for both

Hobie Revo 13
                www.tomlagana.net
                That kind of depends on what kind of fishing I'm doing. For trolling for stripers I have 30 braid and usually go with a 25 leader. Some times depending on the fishing you are doing you may want the leader heavier for resisting abrasions or lighter to make sure that the leader breaks and not the braid on a snag. In general in the kayak I like the same or a tad lighter lighter leader as the braid is hell to try to break off from the kayak and I don't want to lose any braid anyway.

I have been using bass pro shops flouro that I picked up for a good price but still use mono a lot of the time as I have a ton of 20-50 lb. spools. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to me as to catching fish.
                Last edited by DonV; 10-11-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

How long is the leader

Tom Lagana
                  www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Tom,

My leaders start at about 3 to 4 feet long.

Of course, they get shorter each time I change lures. Given that I use multiple rods on most of my outings strung with different lures on each one I often complete several trips before retieing a new lure to my leader.

When my leaders get to under 2 feet long, I tie a new one to my main line.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I make my leaders as long as the rod - from the rod tip to the reel so the knot doesn't go onto the reel when casting. Then you won't need to re-tie as often and you have some extra leader available to trim off when the end of the leader gets nicked.

I also use the FG knot. Very strong and very slim and not hard to tie with a little training. See the other thread for details.

If you need to replace a leader on the water, you can use a double surgeons or uni-uni if you find them easier to tie on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                        I make my leaders as long as the rod - from the rod tip to the reel so the knot doesn't go onto the reel when casting.
                        I'm going to try that the next time I retie.

Thanks!
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You heard endorsements of several good knots. I don't think there is a "best" knot for all uses. Functionally, the best knot is the one you can tie quickly and easily and that still works. I try to minimize the number of knots I use so I can concentrate on tying them easily and well. When learning a new knot, I recommend sitting down and tying your knot of choice 5-10 times in a row (or more) until you get comfortable with it and don't have to think too hard when tying it the next time.

For braid to leader (and for light mono to heavier mono leader) I use the double uni knot. It is thicker than some of the other knots and makes a "click" as it passes through the rod tip on a cast. It holds up well for me and is easy to tie.

For tying on most lures, I use a loop knot. I switched to this knot about 3 years ago and my catch rate increased. I don't know if the knot made a difference in how the lure wiggled, or if I was just getting more skilled at fishing in general. I continue to use this knot for most terminal tackle.

If I want to tie a snugged-up knot to a lure or to a snap swivel, I use a Palomar knot. On a few occasions (e.g., when tying a leader to a swimming plug, I use the Clinch knot. I don't have the same confidence in that knot as I do in the Palomar and only use it as needed.

Regarding leader, I have heard Shawn Kimbro talk about using enough leader to run back past the dorsal fin. He often targets larger fish and therefore uses a longer leader. On my rods, I start with about 18-24" of leader. Like others, as I retie lures, that leader gets shorter. Eventually I retie. The leader plays some role in making the line less visible than a colored braid, but for me, the most important use of the leader is in landing fish. I grab the leader, slide my hand down to the lure, and lift the fish into the boat.
                          Last edited by J.A. Veil; 10-12-2015, 12:06 PM.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I asked this question a few months back as I was struggling with separations while throwing topwater using an Alberto knot to tie braid to fluoro. I listened to everyones opinion and ended up switching to the double uni and I have not had a knot failure since.
                            Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                            Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Two knots I use routinely that have never failed me: double uni (uni-to-uni), and the improved Albright.
                              Another I use with satisfaction is the triple surgeon's knot. All are easily tied in most conditions; including low light.
                              I have used these knots tying both, braid-to-mono, and mono-to-mono. They have held in all weather conditions; and against fish large and small.
                              Cheers.
                              DaveO
                              Arnold/Annapolis
                              Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                              X