Powerboat rudness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerboat rudness

This morning I went to Clark's Landing to try and get out of the wind. Even in the creek there were some small white caps and I was limited to finding spots close to shore and relatively out of the wind. I came across these birds working a school of bait and they were about 20 feet from shore.
    001.jpg
    I stayed on the edge and was enjoying catching some small fish and just watching the birds go crazy. I heard a powerboat approaching and two guys who had been trot lining were racing over. I said to myself, ohoh, I bet they are going to move in on the action. They did more than that, they through out some lures and then trolled at over 5 MPH between the birds and the shore, and we were only 20 feet from shore. Needless to say this was like the cops arriving at a teenage party, everybody scattered. They never once turned back and just kept trolling in a straight line out to their trot line float. Action killed I moved off into the wind to find more sheltered spots. It times like this that I wish I had a huge treble hooked lure at the ready for an accidental wayward cast.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Some body's gonna get a Eye put out with that attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
      Some body's gonna get a Eye put out with that attitude.
      That's the point ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Yup happened to me a month ago.. there are some crazies out there.. not worth the trouble for fishing..

Comment

I was starting to see inconsiderate/rude actions on the water 15 or more years ago. Folks would run up, cut in front of you as you were fishing around in the inside of a cove and drop their trolling motor and just cut in. That sort of behavior makes a day on the water less enjoyable.

Comment

......... Be glad you don't have a large treble hook .......... You'd be taking knife to a gun fight

Comment

That's pretty mild in comparison to what I've seen this year and I wouldn't have even batted an eye for that.

You should have seen some of the situations that were presented during the bluefish run in the Delaware Bay this year. Nothing like catching a fish and having head boats run you down in your kayak along with another 20 boats behind them. No exaggeration about that.

For the most part this year I've been fishing offshore in a boat. You may call me a rude fool for doing that but it has shown me a whole new class of asshole that exists. This was my first year doing this and there is nothing like a boat cruising by on plane about 30mph within 40' feet of you while your drifting across a wreck or a reef. For some reason a lot of them wave and seem perplexed why I don't wave back. I feel like throwing them the finger or a tossing a sinker but I assume sooner or later either action is going to lead to a fight.
              Last edited by willf650; 10-14-2015, 02:45 PM.
              1980 Something Old Town Canoe
              2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
              2015 Coosa HD
              2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
              2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

You mean you don't have a gun on your kayak? We have snakes down here. While I've not had one try to get in my kayak/boat I've head many tales in the break room at work of people breaking their fishing poles, their paddles, etc. trying to beat a snake off/out of the boat. Seems like one guy even said his buddy shot a hole in his boat (the buddy's boat, not the guy telling the story).

Comment

I feel your pain. Even on the reservoirs I run into it. On RG there is a white fiberglass boat with three rednecks that love to deep dropshot. those guys have run up on my spot (a good spot) and just sat there 20 ft away staring at me like "are you done yet". I don't like to show my good stuff (fav lures) to any old Tom, Dickwad, and Harry so I either toss an experimental lure or just bail depending on the bite. It makes my blood pressure go through the roof and just isn't worth fighting over most days.

And yes, it has happed with Yakkers too, I took a picture of the Richard who told me "its a big lake" as he drifted onto my spot (right where I was casting!!) while magnaminously sweeping one arm pointing all the other spots I could move to.

Also, yakkers somtimes to unload their popsicle-colored, plastic boats at the end of the ramp then just leave them there as they park their cars, blocking all trailered boats from launching. Last week at RG me and another trailered boat guy were shaking our heads as we waited for a guy to park his car, walk back, fiddle with his gear, before finally GTFO-ing off the ramp. Another buddy told a story of a yakker giving himself a spongebath on the ramp while he waited to launch (you can't make this up!).

You see the "my numbers" fights on Wicked Tuna and Deadliest Catch too. Check out the Musky boards where the Minn boys blow their aorta out over similar frustrations.

Point is, people are people and regardless of boat type, water, region, or any other variable you will run into it.

Comment

Here are a couple of things I've learned about myself while dealing with other boaters/fishers:

First, 1 (long) cast away seems to be the appropriate distance for folks who want to fish around "my" spot, assuming we aren't crossing lines. Sometimes I enjoy the company. But any closer than that, and it begins to feel like they're encroaching.

Second, nobody should navigate fast or close enough to spook fish, dump me overboard, or tangle my lines. Just use common sense.

These are the only things that grief me. One might imagine *most* boaters feel the same way, but experience tells me that's far from true.
                    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    Garmin Echomap 93sv
                    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X