Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line counter and what if you don't have one

Hey guys
    I've been trolling without a line counter and have had some steady success. I'd like to dial my distance in a bit more precisely. I've been open in my bail and counting to 10. If I don't getting action I'll let the line out for five more counts. Is there a brand line counter that you can recommend or is there a general fund for letting line out? yesterday in the Magothy.

Tom Lagana
    www.tomlagana.net

Nice catch yesterday!

I'm interested in hearing some reliable alternatives to line counting reels as well. I know you can get multi-colored braid and keep track of the line that way, but I hate the idea of just trashing the single color braid I have to switch it out.

I use low profile bait casters for trolling, so I count the number of times the line makes a full cross of the spool back and forth. I can't exactly tell how much line is actually let out, but I can at least be consistent. It's usually 8-10 times across the spool depending on the weight or diving ability of what I am trolling, but I have trolled with as few as 4 times across on a few occasions.
    Mike

Comment

Fund=rule

Tom Lagana
      www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Plastic boat was @ Cabelas last week & he picked up a line counter reel they had on sale there.
        I know he likes it...perhaps he will elaborate?

Comment

Use crank baits that dive to the same depth no matter how much line is out. Where are you able to launch on the mag?
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            Use crank baits that dive to the same depth no matter how much line is out. Where are you able to launch on the mag?
            Springs Farm

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...m-Park-Is-Open
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

There are clip on counters, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Tom,

I don't know that you need the precision you are seeking in kayak trolling. The photos you've posted indicate you're having success without a line counter!

I make a cast of maybe 40 to 50 feet behind my kayak. If I feel the lure ticking the bottom as I move forward I reel in line or go faster until I feel no resistance. That works well for me in water up to 10 feet deep. I rarely troll in water deeper than that. Last week I was in water 16 feet deep and I saw fish on my FF hugging the bottom. I knew I couldn't reach them trolling with my light tackle assortment of 1/2 oz. jigs and shallow running crankbaits. I probably didn't have enough line on my spools to keep my lures traveling in their range.

I think if you're in a power boat in deep water using planers and heavy weights, a counter would be helpful to keep your lures at a desired depth. But kayak fishing for most of us is a shallow water game. Just keeping your lure from dragging along the bottom or getting fouled by debris is more important than knowing how much line you have out. And you can do that by feel.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Tom,

I don't know that you need the precision you are seeking in kayak trolling. The photos you've posted indicate you're having success without a line counter!

I make a cast of maybe 40 to 50 feet behind my kayak. If I feel the lure ticking the bottom as I move forward I reel in line or go faster until I feel no resistance. That works well for me in water up to 10 feet deep. I rarely troll in water deeper than that. Last week I was in water 16 feet deep and I saw fish on my FF hugging the bottom. I knew I couldn't reach them trolling with my light tackle assortment of 1/2 oz. jigs and shallow running crankbaits. I probably didn't have enough line on my spools to keep my lures traveling in their range.

I think if you're in a power boat in deep water using planers and heavy weights, a counter would be helpful to keep your lures at a desired depth. But kayak fishing for most of us is a shallow water game. Just keeping your lure from dragging along the bottom or getting fouled by debris is more important than knowing how much line you have out. And you can do that by feel.
                  If you're fishing shallow water you can get away with a lack of precision. If I'm fishing water over 10', which is starting now through January, I really want to know where my lures are. It can make a big difference between catching and not catching. I was running rigs at 33' behind the kayak yesterday and that was the sweet spot. 50' was too much and 20' was not enough. When fishing structure and drop offs, if that lure comes right across them, you'll have a great day. A couple feet too high and the day may end up in a skunk. But certainly in the couple months of the year when they are shallow you can get away with doing just about anything as long as the lures aren't dragging on the ground and picking up debris.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I understand what distance I need to be, just wondering if you use any techniques(i.e. Counting etc) to achieve this as the line counters from what I read are not very reliable. I do know power pro has a color changing braid to mark and may go that route, but I just put new braid on last week and not became aware of that product after the fact

Tom Lagana
                    www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      I was running rigs at 33' behind the kayak yesterday and that was the sweet spot.
                      Alan,

That's certainly precise. How are you measuring that?
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Tom,

If you use a level wind reel- like a Penn 320, you can count the over and returns on the level wind to determine the line out.(Penn 320 gti is about 10ft from side plate to side plate) Of course you'll need to figure out how much line is let out on each return.(pretty simple)+ leader length. Line counters just make sure you include your leader.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Alan,

That's certainly precise. How are you measuring that?
                          I have reels with built in line counters. I don't mess around :-)

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Alan,

No, you certainly don't mess around!

Good job of using all the tools you have available.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                            X