Dry suit sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry suit sizing

I am in the market for a dry suit. Can anyone confirm sizing for someone 5'7" 170lbs. Thanks. Also, any recommendations are valued including likes dislikes on comfort fit etc. As always this is a great form and a wonderful place to exchange information. Maybe the people blocking Spriggs should log on and see how serious, respectful and serious we all are about everything involved with this beloved passion of kayak fishing.

Hobie Revo 13
    www.tomlagana.net

The vendor website will have a detailed fit guide. Pay the extra $$ for the relief zipper
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

http://kokatat.com/products/custom-dry-suits.html

Tom, Kokatat sizing info can be found at the above link. There is a calculator to plug in your measurements, and you should be able to determine if you can go with a standard size or if you need them to make a custom fitted one for you. I got mine a couple of years ago, but I think I got a large, I am 5'10" 175lbs. It is a little long, but easily adjusted with the Velcro ankle cuffs. I have plenty of room for layering. The medium might work for you with your height. The large also gave me a little extra seat room which I need lol If I recall their customer service was very helpful. It was pricey, but the comfort and safety that you get will be worth it.

Comment

Well it seems I am a bit in between so I am hoping for some feedback from folks who have them and are close to my size.

Hobie Revo 13
        www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Thanks emser and Hemingway very helpful

Hobie Revo 13
          www.tomlagana.net

Comment

I bought a Kokatat dry suit last year and was between large and extra large, I order the extra large and should have ordered the large. the x large is way too big.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lagana View Post
              Well it seems I am a bit in between so I am hoping for some feedback from folks who have them and are close to my size.

Hobie Revo 13
              www.tomlagana.net
              You want to get the one that covers both your height and your weight, get the size that covers which ever one is greater. So, if your weight says Medium, but your height says Large (or vice versa, height=m and weight=L) get the Large...or what ever the bigger size that applies to your dimensions.

I had to get an X-Large because I'm 6' 3", but only 175lbs. I was worried that it was going to be really baggy, but it's isn't bad at all and gives plenty of room for base layers inside. I have the Kokatat SuperNova Angler it's made with "Hydrus 3L" materiel, similar to, but not as expensive as Goretex. I got my daughter the Youth version of the SuperNova and I got the biggest one they make, even though she's shorter and lighter than the size chart recommends and it fits her pretty good; with room to grow so hopefully it fits her for a few years...fingers crossed.

Edit add: By the way, the difference between a "paddling suit" and a "dry suit" is the neck gasket in most cases. Neoprene neck gasket is what the paddling suit uses, latex is what dry suits use.
              Last edited by Cowpokey; 11-02-2015, 05:50 PM.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Did it come with the socks. I have fully waterproof socks. Would you recommend getting one with the socks?

Tom Lagana
                www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Socks are permanently attached to my suit

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    You want to get the one that covers both your height and your weight, get the size that covers which ever one is greater. So, if your weight says Medium, but your height says Large (or vice versa, height=m and weight=L) get the Large...or what ever the bigger size that applies to your dimensions.

I had to get an X-Large because I'm 6' 3", but only 175lbs. I was worried that it was going to be really baggy, but it's isn't bad at all and gives plenty of room for base layers inside. I have the Kokatat SuperNova Angler it's made with "Hydrus 3L" materiel, similar to, but not as expensive as Goretex. I got my daughter the Youth version of the SuperNova and I got the biggest one they make, even though she's shorter and lighter than the size chart recommends and it fits her pretty good; with room to grow so hopefully it fits her for a few years...fingers crossed.

Edit add: By the way, the difference between a "paddling suit" and a "dry suit" is the neck gasket in most cases. Neoprene neck gasket is what the paddling suit uses, latex is what dry suits use.
                    How well does the Hydrus breath?
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Socks are attached as part of the suit.

Breaths pretty well. I wore it the last two weekends with launching in 45ยบ air temps and landed with mid 50's. I was a little warm by the end of each day, only moisture I noticed inside the suit was on the inside of the latex wrist gaskets where those seals were on my skin.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

I went through this last year and my issue was neck sizing. I am 5'11' and 200lbs but have like an 18" neck. Sizing up to keep myself from being choked resulted in an enormously oversized suit. I swear I must have an extra foot of arm and leg room.

I meant to send my suit in for tailoring this summer but never actually did it.

If you want to try on an XL suit I will be pretty free later next week and we could meet up somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                          I went through this last year and my issue was neck sizing. I am 5'11' and 200lbs but have like an 18" neck. Sizing up to keep myself from being choked resulted in an enormously oversized suit. I swear I must have an extra foot of arm and leg room.

I meant to send my suit in for tailoring this summer but never actually did it.

If you want to try on an XL suit I will be pretty free later next week and we could meet up somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a suit with neoprene neck gasket this should be less of an issue.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

I am 5' 7 @ 165 lbs and I have a Kokatat size med. It fits nicely with all my layered clothing and I still have some room. Large would have been too big. Neoprene neck and relief zipper are both nice features. Besides the kayak itself, it's one of my best fishing investments.
                            2013 WS Ride 135
                            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                            X