Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal Specs for spinning rod for big stripers ... from a newbe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal Specs for spinning rod for big stripers ... from a newbe?

Tried to do some searches and thought it might be easier to just ask?

I have a bunch of saltwater spinning reels and rods but I do not have a salt water rod that is shorter than 10 ft.

What is an ideal size for a kayak fishing rod specifically for BIG stripers? From my research here it looks like 7ft is a good size? Or 7.6 ft better? Would like to stick with "spinning" style, since I have some high end spinning reels. I am planning to get the Hobie Outback for Christmas, I'm 5'9".

I have a friend, that has a friend, with a used St. Croix Avid Inshore 7' Heavy / 15-30 Line wt / 3/4 - 2oz / Fast Action. Would that work? Too stiff? I would most likely be doing what I do for surf casting: Using bucktails (3/4 to 1.5 ozs) , live eels, super strike darters, etc ...

Also, I may be way off in my thinking b/c I'm thinking like a surf fisherman and not a kayak fisherman and appreciate your advice/thoughts.

Thanks for all the help!

David

I have yet to tangle with a big striper, my best is still under 30"...but a Medium Heavy rod long enough to reach around the nose of your kayak with a reel matched to it in the 3000ish size and 15-30# braid.

I use all 6' M/H rods, 3000-3500 size spinning reels loaded with 20# braid. So does my much shorter daughter, and she can reach around the front of her Outback with them also.

I've tangled with quite a few Cownose Ray (CNR) which are pretty strong and heavy rascals, and after appropriate fighting can get them yak-side for release if the work is worth saving the lure. If it's just a jig and paddle tail, I grab the spool and let CNR pull until the line breaks. That way they are just swimming away with a jig in their nose/wing and I get all of my line back...fishing line is weakest at the knot, so it will almost always break at the terminal connection.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

For trolling around the bay and river / tributaries, I have noticed that my longer, medium rods have been getting more fish consistently over stiffer rods. I've developed a preference for my St. Croix rods in hand as well for how well I can perceive action during trolling / casting. All of my rods are between 6' 7" and 7'. This specifically holds true during more wind / rougher waters. Without a doubt through, moving to braid has made a significant improvement in both the responsiveness as well as strength, with fewer (read: no) break offs yet.
      -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

My preference for trolling jigs and bucktails is to use a medium or medium-light spinning rod of 6'6". I have one 7' rod that seems a bit cumbersome in the kayak.

Having said that, sometimes you make do with what you have with you on a trip. Last Friday, I planned to fish for pickerel in several Severn tributaries. I added two other rods for trolling between tribs. At one point I decided to troll with the following spread:

6' ultralight
        6' light
        6'6" medium light
        6'6" medium

I caught fish on all four rods that trip. The first rod to go down was the ultralight, with a 17" striper. That put quite a bend in the slender rod, especially as I continued pedaling while reeling the fish in.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Where are you planning to fish? If you're fishing bigger plugs like darters or live eels you're going to want something different from our standard LMB tackle. I have a MH St Croix Tidemaster that has been a great all around rod for what you're talking about. I can snag and drop bunker, jig/bucktail, and troll larger plugs without an issue. Granted I pretty much only use this rod in the spring for blues and rock at JBAY (and in DE this year!) or in the fall when the larger rock are around. The H Avid is probably pretty similar but a little stiffer and it could probably do double duty for cobia or drum.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

So in the Northeast and NJ, I surf fish (waders and wetsuit) for large stripers ... I'm trying to expand my striper fishing locally since there seems to be so much via kayak around here. So yes, snag and drop bunker and eels as well as plugs like darters. My surf rods for stripers are all over 10 ft and 3/4-4 oz range, I'm totally lost when it comes to Kayak gear.

Just doing research and watching videos and reading about it (dreaming about it!) ... I really want to catch the Spring herring run in the Potomac (been hearing about this for years) and also fish the bridges like the Bay Bridge for large stripers w eels and also fish Tog. Also, want to fish the Susquehanna flats in the Spring too. I would also bring the Kayak to NJ shore and fish the back bays and out front if it is calm for stripers.

I am looking at the St. Croix Avid (big fan of St Croix) just don't know if I should get H or MH or 6.6 or 7, etc ...

Also, I will have other rods for LMB and fluking, etc ...

I want to start looking on SOL and CL for kayak rods, since I will most likely get a kayak (2016 Hobie Outback, called a couple places and 2015 Outback demos are gone and the 2015 they have left is only $50 cheaper than 2016) for Christmas and plan to kayak fish starting in the Spring. Just wanted a nice set up for large Stripers/rockfish.

Comment

Here's a pretty good thread that will have alot of info in it. I use Penn 3000/Ugly Stik Elite with 20lb braid and 20lb fluoro leader as my primary setups. The pain is not so bad if one goes swimming to never return.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?13072-Gear-upgrade&highlight=penn+fierce

Comment

I think there is no ideal rod. Also I think it depends on what "big" means and where and how you intend to fish.

I carry nothing heavier than medium action rods. I also use light and medium light rods.

I like to cast as much as troll and the above weight range of rods gives me that flexibility -- literally. I don't like trying to cast a broomstick. I like some flex in the rod tip and some bend in the action because it affords me better accuracy in casting.

Big to me is anything legal. My largest striper this year has been 24 inches. (I think it's amazing how striper power increases for every inch they reach over 18.) I caught the 24 inch striper on a medium action rod and while the fish created a big bend, the rod was not stressed. I've also caught legal sized fish on light rods.

I've never tangled with a 30 incher so I don't know how my rods would fare. Maybe they would snap. But honestly, I don't fish areas in a kayak where those fish are likely to reside.

I don't think it would be as enjoyable to routinely catch 14 to 20 inch fish (my norm) with heavy tackle.

As to length, I agree it's important to be able to turn a fish across the bow of your kayak. A rod that's 6.5 feet does that for me. I have a few that are 7 footers but I prefer handing the 6.5 footers. The 6.5 foot rods allow better casting accuracy in tight spaces. They're also lighter and that matters after using them for hours at a time during an outing.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I also like shorter rods on the kayak. 7' or less, but I'd choose 6'8 or 6'6 if I had the choice.

If you'd like to throw heavy wood plugs of say 2 oz or more you should try it on your friend's rod first. Ratings help but first hand feel with the plugs you want to throw will give you the best feedback. Not all 2 oz rods are equal.

Sounds a little like you're asking the rod to do too much in the sense that a light tackle jigging/trolling rod is usually too light to throw wooden plugs except for the smaller types/sizes only up to 1 to 1-1/2 oz. Even then you might want a light tackle rod with a higher rating than most use for general kayak fishing - at least around here.

This is good info and should help your transition to light tackle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fomS2OMGofc

Check out his other vids also.

Comment

I have that St. Croix you mentioned and while its a really nice rod I think it's a little overkill for most kayak applications. Its really stiff and doesn't really load with anything under 2 ozs. When you're kayak fishing you can definitely get away with lighter gear for bigger fish. If you're only chasing stripers up to 30" you can get away with a M or MH rod and a 3000 sized reel with 15-20 lb braid. If we're talking 30 POUND stripers then maybe the st Croix would be a good choice. I'll also echo what others have said that I like to keep the rods as short as possible- basically just enough to pass the tip across the bow if I've hooked a big fish that runs underneath me. I have long arms but the revo 13 cockpit it a little longer than an outback so my ideal rod is 7 feet.

Another thing to consider is do you really wanna be taking a $250 rod out on your yak? Mistakes/accidents do happen out there. My absolute favorite series of kayak rods are Shimano Teramars. Light, powerful, come in a huge range of lengths and actions, only cost around $110 and come with a 5 year warranty. I have 5 of them in spinning and casting models. You could buy two of those for the price of that one St. Croix!
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

David, if you're in for a good read check out the book Alan "Yak Fish" wrote, full of good info:

https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling

Keep the questions coming, lots of good info/experience/opinions members of Snaggedline are happy to share.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Thank you all for the comments. I guess, when I mean "big stripers" ... I'm talking 30 pounds or heavier. When I surf fish I'm targeting those larger fish, but it is usually during the Fall and Spring runs along the shore on the east coast. I don't have experience in these waters and maybe I'm just not being realistic. In NJ and Northeast the min size is usually 28 inches or larger. I was thinking of eeling under the Chesapeake bridge for big fish. I should be more realistic. I will downgrade my expectations and buy "lighter" as you all suggested and let me learn and get some time on the water here locally and figure out if I need heavier stuff. I might just be happier using my flyrod and catching LMB :-)

I guess it make sense that the kayak acts as a "drag" as well and maybe I don't need anything that stiff and powerful. Also, thinking about it, losing a $200-300 rod with a Zeebaas or VanStaal on it makes my stomach "cringe". This was not a "do all" set up, but specifically for large stripers, I would get another set up for the smaller fish. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

My FIRST PRIORITY is to find a good deal on a 2015/2016 Hobie Outback (I like the new seat and the other upgrades they did). I called the hobie dealer in Annapolis and they said the 2015 demo models are gone and the 2015 Model (they have 2) they have is not on sale/clearance. The 2016 models are in or coming in and are $50 more. Another member suggested I wait and they might have a promotion in the down season and maybe I can get the roller thing for free or something. He also said the Hobies are in demand and hard to get good deals.

Thank you all again for your insights and teaching me ... have a great day!

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dkim73 View Post
                          I might just be happier using my flyrod and catching LMB :-)
                          That flyrod will work for stripers too. In fact, many of us use LMB tackle while kayak fishing for stripers.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The big striper come into the Bay to spawn, hoping to get in on that action as they show up.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I think Blu Haven Piers down here in St. Mary's has some Outbacks and PA's that are on sale if you're still looking.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X