Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a used 2015 Hobie Outback - What questions to ask and what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used 2015 Hobie Outback - What questions to ask and what to look for?

Ok, I tried to do some searches on the subject and can not find a post. If you know of a post and can send it to me ... I would hate to ask a question that might have come up many times on this site, so I apologize for asking in advance.

I am set on a Outback and want the 2015 Model.

There are a few used ones out there, but I haven't a clue as to what to look for and watch out for in a used Outback?

I guess there would be two stages:

1) Asking questions on phone or email, to get a sense of the condition?

2) Meeting up and inspecting? What to look for?

Again, if there is a post out there that has covered this, if you can send me the link. Thanks again for all your help.

Best Regards,
    David

The main concern(s) is how beat up the hull is (from being drug over rocks or banging into pilings) and how many holes have been drilled in it to mount things. I would rather spend the money on a new hull than get one that's beat up or has holes drilled all over.

If you find one that has very little use and nothing was mounted to it, go for it. There are plenty of people that buy a new (insert make/model) kayak and find out that the sport isn't for them, they don't have the time to use it, end up moving and can't take the kayak with them; and sell a virtually new boat for much less than full price...a good friend got a 2015 Outback for a great deal earlier this year.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

depending on what was mounted, a ton of holes might bother me but I would have to see if they match up with what I wanted to add. the main concern for me would be the hull. almost all launch ramps take some gouges from the keel of the yak. so I would pay particular attention to how bad the damage is underneath. srapes and shallow gouges wouldn't bother me at all. then after all that, it comes down to is the price discount from buying a new one, worth the condition of the used yak.
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I ended up buying a new one today. A blue 2016 outback from Backyard Boats in Annapolis.

Thank you all for the help.

David

Comment

congrats!
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Congrats on your new boat. Let the fishing begin!

Comment

Working...
            X